crud in a control

Guest

I'm trying to create a control that will add and edit items in a table
on add is easy, i just create the control with the empty text boxes, include
an insert button and away it goes.
However, i'd like to also have an Update mode that will accept an id, run a
query to then populate the text boxes for edit, then update
is there an established way to do allow for this.
I can run a query from the page where the control is included, then find
each text box, and then set the value, but this seems counter productive the
concept of haveing a control in the first place. I'd settle for being able to
call a sub within the control, but i don't think this is possible?

Any help would be appreciated.