Crypt::RC4 & cookies

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David S., Jun 24, 2003.

  1. David S.

    David S. Guest

    I am currently working on a program that encrypts login information into
    cookies using the RC4 module. However I run into a problem during the
    decryption process. For example, I made up a temporary password of test123
    and when decrypting (in IE) it gives me testq23. However, in netscape it
    decrypts fine. I was wondering if anybody knows of any glitches in the
    module or IE, or whatever this could be. It might be part of the built in
    character sets, because I looked at the cookies in encrypted form in both
    browsers and one character showed up different..

    IE ----> ,¨Íe_îß
    NETSCAPE---> ,¨Íeîß

    as you can see there is obviously some sort of difference in the characters,
    and i'm wondering if anybody may know the solution....

    Also is there any generic guidelines for the encrypt/decrypt keys for RC4?
    Is it possible that I picked an invalid key because i've tried several
    different variations, however none of them seem to fix the problem...

    ================================
    David Stinemetze

    http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~dstineme

    "Make a fire for a man, keep him warm for an evening.
    Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life."
    -Unknown

    "I will stand my watch and set myself on the rampart,
    and watch to see what He will say to me,
    and what I will answer when I am corrected."
    -Habakkuk 2:1
    David S., Jun 24, 2003