Cryptographic service provider (CSP) could not be found for this algorithm.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Sven-Torben Janus, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. I'm running an ASP.NET webapplication on a Windows 2000 Server SP4 machine
    with .Net Framework 1.0 installed.

    The ASP.Net application uses impersonation (windows domain account). This is
    needed for communication between two servers (some ldap stuff).
    Furthermore the application uses FormsAuthentication. At some point the
    FomrAuthentication.Decrypt method is called. At this point I get the
    following error:

    Cryptographic service provider (CSP) could not be found for this algorithm.
    current web request.
    Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where
    it originated in the code.

    Exception Details:
    System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException:
    Cryptographic service provider (CSP) could not be found for this algorithm.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [CryptographicException: Cryptographic service provider
    (CSP) could not be found for this algorithm.]

    System.Security.Cryptography.DESCryptoServiceProvider..ctor() +239
    System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.Initialize() +242
    System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule.OnEnter(Object source,
    EventArgs eventArgs) +146
    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.Execute() +60
    completedSynchronously) +87

    The application runs fine on another Win2K SP4 machine and also on some
    other WinXP machines.
    I tried to install the Windows 2000 High Encryption Package. But that didn't
    solve the problem.
    The error doesn't occur when I turn impersonation off. But the application
    needs impersonation so this is no solution.

    So what to do ?
    I searched msdn and the internet but I couldn't find anything that solves
    the problem.

    Any help is appreciatet.

    Thanks in advance.

    Sven-Torben