CryptographicException: Bad Data. Any idea why this happens?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by simonmarkjones@gmail.com, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi my webserver is running .Net 1.1 and intermittently i get the
    following error when I look at one of the websites. Does anyone out
    there have any idea why this happens?

    And how I can try and start solving the problem. Most of the time the
    website works okay. Thanks in advance!

    Server Error in '/Ed/ENROL' Application.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

    Bad Data.

    Exception Details: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException:

    Bad Data.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [CryptographicException: Bad Data.
    ]
    System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoAPITransform._DecryptData(IntPtr
    hKey, Byte[] rgb, Int32 ib, Int32 cb, Boolean fDone) +0

    System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoAPITransform.TransformFinalBlock(Byte[]

    inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount) +805
    System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.FlushFinalBlock() +40
    System.Web.Configuration.MachineKey.EncryptOrDecryptData(Boolean
    fEncrypt, Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length) +139
    System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.Decrypt(String
    encryptedTicket) +114
    FSSL.Enrol.WebUI.Global.Application_AuthenticateRequest(Object
    sender, EventArgs e) +79

    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep­.Execute()

    +60

    completedSynchronously) +87

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300;
    ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

    , Aug 23, 2006

  2. MikeS Guest

    I think I have seen this when the data to be decrypted was not the
    correct length.

    MikeS, Aug 27, 2006