Cryptography

Dale

I am trying to decide on an cryptography class to use with my ASP.NET web
application. I have looked and several articles on building crypto classes,
but I wanted to stick with Microsoft best practices. The application could
contain some very sensitive information.

The first class I looked at was DPAPI
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT07.asp).
However, I cannot use this because the application is hosted on a clustered
server, which eliminates the ability to use the machine store. Additionally,
the server does not load a user profile for the ASP.NET account, so the user
store will also not work.

What I’m looking at now is the cryptography classes included in the
Microsoft Enterprise Library
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyId=0325b97a-9534-4349-8038-d56b38ec394c).
It looks like the key is stored in a plain text configuration file
(securityCryptographyConfiguration.config). Would anyone who is able to
access the config file be able to decrypt my data?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.