Crystal Report Loads Inconsistently

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Corbin, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Corbin

    Corbin Guest

    I've been going in circles on this for a week. Please help:

    I'm running a web app with ASP.NET 1.1 and Crystal Reports for .NET.
    The app has three reports, two of which are reliable both on my
    development machine and on my client's production server. The third
    report is reliable on my development machine, but not on the
    production server. I can think of nothing different about this third
    report that would cause it to be so fragile. Here is what I do to
    replicate the problem:

    1. Reboot the production web server.
    2. Log into the application in question.
    3. Open the unstable report and then close it.
    4. Repeat step 3 about 4 times.

    On about the 4th time, an exception is triggered in my aspx page and
    it displays a page that I redirect to from the Catch portion of my
    Try/Catch/Finally block. Then I can repeat step 4 again, and not even
    the try/catch works. Instead it displays the system error information
    that I've posted at the bottom of this message. It also does the
    following at this point:

    1. The other two reports become inaccessible. They either hang
    indefinitely or they display the same error message.
    2. The ASP worker process jumps to 100% CPU and will not come down.
    3. Unspecified errors occur randomly throughout all the functions in
    the app until IIS is restarted.

    It is clearly not related to permissions or configuration, or the
    error would occur on the first run and not the fourth. I have watched
    memory usage and there is no indication of a memory leak causing the
    problem. I have tried upgrading the production server from Win2K /
    IIS 5.1 to Win2003 / IIS 6.0, and the behavior is unchanged. Any
    ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Corbin

    ***ERROR INFORMATION REFERENCED ABOVE***

    Load report failed.

    Exception Details: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.LoadSaveReportException:
    Load report failed.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [LoadSaveReportException: Load report failed.]
    .F(String  , EngineExceptionErrorID
    ) +272
    .B(String , Int32 ) +54
    CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String
    reportName, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob) +1191
    CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportClass.Load(String
    reportName, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob) +466
    CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.SetDataSource(Object
    value) +260
    RptVwr.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2979
    Corbin, Feb 3, 2004