Crystal Reports - .rpt - "Query Engine Error"

matt

[btw -- does anyone know of any plain old CR groups?]

hello,

i have an .RPT file that i am using to load a report via the ASP.NET
CrystalReportViewer control. i dont include my .RPTs as embedded
resources...instead i load the absolute path of the .rpt (on the file
system) to the control's ".ReportSource" property. i do this because i
like to move new versions of the reports w/o having to rebuild the
site.

then i pass in filter criteria to the control's ".SelectionFormula"
property. my reports use an Oracle view as their datasource, and
passing in critieria forumulas allow me to filter returned rows
appropiately.

ive noticed one thing... if i attempt to use a formula criterion that
is a member of the underlying view, but is *not* a field ive included
in the report (via the layout designer) -- then it craps out. the
report fails to load, with:

Query Engine Error: 'D:\projects\xxx\reports\changeHistory.rpt'

Exception Details:
CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.DataSourceException: Query
Engine Error: 'D:\projects\xxx\reports\changeHistory.rpt'

....no further info is given. if i remove the offending criterion, or
add its column to the report via the designer, the problem is
eliminated and things work normally.

whaaa? is this expected behavior (ie, is it a feature or a bug?)

thanks!
matt

Juan T. Llibre

re:
[btw -- does anyone know of any plain old CR groups?]

Try microsoft.public.vb.crystal

Also, see :

For general CR info, see :
http://aspalliance.com/crystal/

Also, see :
"Licensing and support for Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET and for Visual Studio 2005" :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317789/

Juan said:
Try microsoft.public.vb.crystal

thanks. i saw that, but the "vb" scared me off -- is that group
dedicated to VB windows apps usage? or are general, web, and designer
posts welcomed as well?
Also, see :

im not sure if ill be able to open anything other than usenet groups,
as im on a locked down work machine. those are the types of groups i
would expect to find on usenet tho (wonder why there arent?), so if i
can ill check them out.

thanks,
matt