CS0234 Global does not exist ... but it genuinely does

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bill Johnson, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. Bill Johnson

    Bill Johnson Guest

    Server Error in 'DataGrid' Application

    Compilation Error

    CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Global' does not exist in the class
    or namespace 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid' (are you missing an
    assembly reference?)

    I get the above error ONLY WHEN I create a brand new, empty C# ASP.NET
    web application WITH THE SAME NAME AS A PREVIOUSLY DELETED application
    web. I had previously created a C# ASP.NET web application named
    'DataGrid', but it had errors and I wanted to start again from scratch.
    I deleted all files and directories containing the name 'DataGrid'
    from the following places:

    1. Via IIS Admin, deleted Virtual directory 'DataGrid'
    2. From \Documents and
    Settings\Bill.Johnson\VSWebCache\Server01\DataGrid
    3. \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\datagrid

    .... and recycled IIS.

    I can create a brand new, empty C# ASP.NET web application which runs
    fine, i.e., with no errors.

    I believe that there is something lingering around someplace on my
    computer that says "Name=DataGrid?" Sure, I have it saved over
    here...." How can I _completely_ remove all IIS, C#, ASP.NET
    references to a former project/solution and use the same name again?

    Thanks.

    Bill Johnson, Jul 8, 2005