CS0433: The type 'ProfileCommon' exists in both

Phil

I've started getting this message after doing a publish of an Asp.Net 2.0
(c#) web site. The site uses a custom profile provider - I'm sure there is
relation here, but I can't find it. Everything worked before, and the same
code is working on another site. I've tried deleting temp asp.net files and
rebuilding/redeploying the app. I've also completely rebuilt the custom
profile provider class three times. And I've gone as far as completely
starting the
app over from scratch, and copying the working code for the other app into
this one. It will work for a few publishes, then just stop.

CS0433: The type 'ProfileCommon' exists in both
'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\129feac9\da507a71\App_Code.vjxkdy9e.dll' and
'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\root\129feac9\da507a71\assembly\dl3\a2f93da4\881e5468_eec7c601\App_Code.DLL'

Thanks,
Phil

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Phil,

I notice you've posted similar issue before and you mentioned that even
using the default Profile provider will cause this problem? Is this still
the case this time?

I've done some simple test using the default Profile provider: publish
several times and the problem didn't occur.

I think a repro project will be required to diagnose this issue. Thanks for
your understanding.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

Guest

Hello Walter,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the multiple posts, I didn't realize I
was posting under a the wrong alias, which prevented me from getting

Using the default provider still works fine, it's just the custom profile
provider.

I built the first custom profile provider form this example:
http://www.theserverside.net/tt/articles/showarticle.tss?id=CreatingProfileProvider

I have a live site running with it right now (http://www.stringobjj.com). I
started a new project and brought the class I have running on the stringobjj
site over and everything worked for a while. The new project is still under
development so I have builds and preview uploads for the client every few
days. At one point about three months ago I just started getting that error
out of the blue. I took the stringobjj site that was a known good site,
opened the project and did a build with no changes. When I deployed that
site I started receiving the error on the stringobjj site as well (I put back
the working version).

About two weeks ago I downloaded the Microsoft released custom profile
provider (http://www.asp.net/sandbox/samp_profiles.aspx?tabid=62). I
adjusted it to use my database layout. It worked for a few days fine, over
several builds and publishes. But eventually it started showing the same
error.

The error only occurs after a new build and publish. If the site is
working, it stays working. Once it errors after a new build and publish and
will not come back up.

That's pretty much where I'm at now. If necessary I can build a small
solution using the custom profile provider and post it for download or email
if it would help to look at it.

Thanks for the help!

-Phil

PS - Forgive me if this is something I should know, but what is a "repro
project"

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Phil,

It would be great if you could build a small solution using the custom
profile provider and upload it here or email it to me. Thanks.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

"repro" means "reproducible", I mean a project that can reproduce the
issue. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Guest

First and foremost, thankyou for the help!

I actually found the problem while trying to build you a sample solution.
All it was the absence of the PrecompiledApp.config file. I was removing
that file when I deployed the app because I thought it wasn't necessary.
Apparently it is. From what I gather that is what tells the runtime that the
app is already compiled and to not try to recompile it.

Thanks again for the help. This is has been a hunge thorn in my side for a
while now. Having to intentionally try to reproduce the error had me looking
at things a different way and that is why I was able to solve the problem.
Assuming it doesn't pop back up in a few more days (I thought I solved it
once before) it looks like it is taken care of.

Thanks!
Phil

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Phil,