CS1595: "x is defined in multiple places..." w/ ascx controls

Jouni Heikniemi

Hi,

This has been asked before, in <http://groups.google.fi/groups?
selm=ureiu7b04kv839%40corp.supernews.com> for example; however, I haven't
found any real answers, so I'll post this with some new data.

I've encountered strange behavior with .ascx control files. If I have two
controls with the same name (obviously residing in different directories)
and I use both on a single page, I occasionally get:

--
Compiler Error Message: CS1595: '_ASP.sivupohja_ala_ascx' is defined in
multiple places; using definition from

As far as I understand, this is not a trivial DLL deployment issue (as it
is an ASP.net generated identifier that overlaps). It has now occurred
twice, and both times I've been able to fix it by touching either of the
..ascx files so that they've been recompiled. The issue pops up randomly -
the last time it did, it was on one of three AC synchronized cluster
servers, which run identical configurations. Two of the servers ran
perfectly normally, and after touching the .ascx file, all three of them
were fine again.

Ideas?