    I'm using g?vim and its c-scope plugin for browsing C-code.

    What would be a good way of navigating larger python projects with vim?

    thanks for any suggestions

    Gelonida, Aug 7, 2010

  2. Gelonida

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-08-07, Gelonida <> wrote:
    > I'm using g?vim and its c-scope plugin for browsing C-code.
    > What would be a good way of navigating larger python projects with vim?

    ctags:
    http://ctags.sourceforge.net/

    Tim Harig, Aug 8, 2010

  3. Gelonida

    Gelonida Guest

    On 08/08/2010 01:42 AM, Tim Harig wrote:
    > On 2010-08-07, Gelonida <> wrote:
    >> I'm using g?vim and its c-scope plugin for browsing C-code.
    >> What would be a good way of navigating larger python projects with vim?

    > ctags:
    > http://ctags.sourceforge.net/

    Thanks Tim.

    This looks quite interesting.

    I prefereed vim/cscope for navigation, but guess after some learning
    with vim/ctags I should get along quite well.

    My biggest problem with is, that ctrl-] doesn't ask you to which tag to
    jump in case multiple options exist.

    Gelonida, Aug 8, 2010
  4. Gelonida

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-08-08, Gelonida <> wrote:
    > On 08/08/2010 01:42 AM, Tim Harig wrote:
    >> On 2010-08-07, Gelonida <> wrote:
    >>> I'm using g?vim and its c-scope plugin for browsing C-code.
    >>> What would be a good way of navigating larger python projects with vim?

    >> ctags:
    >> http://ctags.sourceforge.net/

    > I prefereed vim/cscope for navigation, but guess after some learning
    > with vim/ctags I should get along quite well.

    It takes a little getting used to because it isn't as intuative as cscope's
    visual navigation; but, it is quite efficient once you have internalized
    it. It also has a portability advantage. ctags works with all versions of
    vi so you are not just limited to vim. Excuberant ctags works with most
    langauges that you are likely to be working in and many tools are available
    that produce ctags files for other languages.

    > My biggest problem with is, that ctrl-] doesn't ask you to which tag to
    > jump in case multiple options exist.

    It usually jumps to the most relavant tag. If necessary, you can specify
    exactly which tag you need with ":tag".

    Tim Harig, Aug 8, 2010