CSS 3 Col stretchy layouts

Silkster

Hi Everyone...
Ian not sure if this is possible but.. I have created a 3 col layout
with a stretchy center using pure CSS got it to work in everything..
sorted..

But the site Iam working on is aimed at multiple resolutions so it is
going to scale down to 800x600 and scale up to 1024x768...

the problem is HOW DO I STOP IT GOING PAST 1024?

Ideally I would like the container to stop at 1024 in the center of the
page with a repeating horizontal background going the full page?

I know I could use javascript get the resolution of the monitor and
display a correct template but in volves resizing the browser wind
which I do not like

Please somebody help

Benjamin Niemann

Hello,
Ian not sure if this is possible but.. I have created a 3 col layout
with a stretchy center using pure CSS got it to work in everything..
sorted..

But the site Iam working on is aimed at multiple resolutions so it is
going to scale down to 800x600 and scale up to 1024x768...

the problem is HOW DO I STOP IT GOING PAST 1024?

Ideally I would like the container to stop at 1024 in the center of the
page with a repeating horizontal background going the full page?

I know I could use javascript get the resolution of the monitor and
display a correct template but in volves resizing the browser wind
which I do not like

The 'max-width' property is properly what you need. Unfortunately it does
not work in IE6 and lower (don't know about IE7 - I hoped they fixed
this...). For IE there are fixes, but these require JavaScript to emulate
this property - IE7 (not to be confused with Internet Explorer 7!) comes to
my mind. You'll still have to worry about IE users without JavaScript
though...

HTH

richard

Silkster said:
Hi Everyone...
Ian not sure if this is possible but.. I have created a 3 col layout
with a stretchy center using pure CSS got it to work in everything..
sorted..

But the site Iam working on is aimed at multiple resolutions so it is
going to scale down to 800x600 and scale up to 1024x768...

the problem is HOW DO I STOP IT GOING PAST 1024?

Ideally I would like the container to stop at 1024 in the center of the
page with a repeating horizontal background going the full page?

I know I could use javascript get the resolution of the monitor and
display a correct template but in volves resizing the browser wind
which I do not like

Please somebody help

The only way you could possibly do it is to have some javascript detect what
the browser's setting are, then redirect to a page for that resolution.
Of course, you'd have to know how many that is, and rewrite each page for
that resolution.
From what I've seen on stats, very very very few people use anything greater
than 1024.
So why bother?

Disco Octopus

The only way you could possibly do it is to have some javascript detect what
the browser's setting are, then redirect to a page for that resolution.
Of course, you'd have to know how many that is, and rewrite each page for
that resolution.
From what I've seen on stats, very very very few people use anything greater
than 1024.
So why bother?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

First of all, sorry for posting this in gg. :( My new employer places
weird restrictions on our sites and software allowances.

Anyway, There is (or rather - may be) another way to get around this.
It involves a little bit of dodgy design table layout, but it does work
- Please let me know if you find that it doesn't work, or if you make a
nicer (table-less) version of this that works.

Put the entire contents inside this....

AllOtherPageContentGoesHere

.... and then simply adjust the 47em to what ever you like.

This has worked for me in the past.

Ed Mullen

richard said:
The only way you could possibly do it is to have some javascript detect
what the browser's setting are, then redirect to a page for that
resolution.
Of course, you'd have to know how many that is, and rewrite each page
for that resolution.
From what I've seen on stats, very very very few people use anything
greater than 1024.
So why bother?

The OP doesn't state what kind of site it is. So I think it's
ill-advised to suggest to ignore whatever percentage of the potential
viewing populace is using more than 1024x768. At home I use 128 x 1024.
Hey, who knows, I just might be the guy who does NOT place the $10,000
order on the OP's site because it isn't readable for me.

Better to advise that he create a fluid design that is easily viewed by
/anyone/ at any resolution.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Ed said:
The OP doesn't state what kind of site it is. So I think it's
ill-advised to suggest to ignore whatever percentage of the potential
viewing populace is using more than 1024x768. At home I use 128 x 1024.
Hey, who knows, I just might be the guy who does NOT place the $10,000
order on the OP's site because it isn't readable for me.

Better to advise that he create a fluid design that is easily viewed by
/anyone/ at any resolution.

Hoping it was obvious that I meant to type 1280 x 1024, and not 128 ...
Sigh. Fingers faster than brain - *again* .

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net