    the main content div?

    Thanks!
    Kris
    Kris, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Hi Kris,

    "Kris" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I'm trying to do something and I think it's not that difficult,
    > but my knowledge of html and css is very limited.
    > On my site I have two large DIVisions: left the navigation div and
    > right the main content div.
    > I have a little menu script running in the navigation div. So far so
    > good.
    > My question: when I click one of the links in the menu, how can I make
    > sure that the new content (seperate html file) will be displayed in
    > the main content div?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Kris

    I think you are misunderstanding CSS. CSS is a styling/positioning thing. if
    you wanted to load all your website content into different divisions, and
    display them instantly using your navigation bar on the left, then you could
    do this...although it would be a massive page (assuming your site is of a
    reasonable size), and all images wuld have to be loaded simultaneously,
    etc...very messy!

    On the other hand, if you are using the navigation pane (using whatever tool
    you want to use) as a menu/navigation tool that calls another page, you
    would need to define the navigation pane there too, with the page's content
    loaded in the other div area.

    You are thinking of the way old FRAMES used to be used (shudders as he
    remembers) :)

    Cheers
    David Russell, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Kris

    Richard Guest

    Kris wrote:

    > Hi, I'm trying to do something and I think it's not that difficult,
    > but my knowledge of html and css is very limited.
    > On my site I have two large DIVisions: left the navigation div and
    > right the main content div.
    > I have a little menu script running in the navigation div. So far so
    > good.
    > My question: when I click one of the links in the menu, how can I make
    > sure that the new content (seperate html file) will be displayed in
    > the main content div?

    > Thanks!
    > Kris

    Investigate the power of z-index.
    Not suggested for use if your content is going to be HUGE.
    With z-indexing, you can call up any number of divisions to be displayed
    within the main division.
    Great for when content is small and doesn't call for an entirely new page.
    Just remember that loading time will be slowed depending on how much you put
    in to each division.
    Richard, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Kris wrote:

    > Hi, I'm trying to do something

    .... you posted this in alt.html.tags under a different subject. See my
    answer there. Please do NOT multipost.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Dec 9, 2004