CSS and a broken image

Discussion in 'HTML' started by J. Codling, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. J. Codling

    J. Codling Guest

    I can't seem to figure out why the image on this page (
    http://www.jcodling.com/index.php?page=contact.htm ) makes
    the background show through from time to time. Is this one
    of those damned annoying IE bugs? Is there a fix? Did I do
    something wrong?

    It is in a style named .content which is reproduced here
    just in case;

    ..content {
    font-size: 12px;
    padding: 3px;
    margin-left: 200px;
    margin-top: 0px;
    margin-right: 0px;
    margin-bottom: 0px;
    border-left-width: 1px;
    border-left-style: solid;
    border-top-color: #000066;
    border-right-color: #000066;
    border-bottom-color: #000066;
    border-left-color: #000066;
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    text-align: justify;
    color: #330066;
    }

    The keen eyed will notice it was made with help from
    Dreamweaver MX. ;)

    It worked fine on my testing server but as soon as I
    uploaded it to my host I noticed this problem. I use
    Slimbrowser which uses IE plus tabbed browsing, groups and
    pop-up blocker.

    Thanks in advance for your help! I am trying to learn CSS
    and in doing so I completely redid my site from the ground
    up using CSS instead of graphics and tables. I love how it
    has turned out so far except for this goofy image problem.
    --
    ttyl,

    CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

    *This message represents the official opinions of the voices
    in my head*
    J. Codling, Apr 2, 2004

  2. J. Codling

    J. Codling Guest

    I take it that it isn't broken for anyone then...

    It is strange that it only happens from time to time. I
    think it is something wrong with my video card driver or the
    way IE is interacting with my mouse. I don't know...

    J. Codling, Apr 3, 2004

  3. J. Codling

    Jim Roberts Guest

    "J. Codling" <jcodling~AT~jcodling~DOT~com> wrote

    > I take it that it isn't broken for anyone then...
    >
    > It is strange that it only happens from time to time. I
    > think it is something wrong with my video card driver or the
    > way IE is interacting with my mouse. I don't know...
    >
    > --
    > ttyl,
    >
    > CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

    I could have have sworn I replied to this message... <shrug>

    Well, I tested with IE 6 first, worked fine. I tested it with slim-browser,
    couldn't break it. It worked with it also. I tested it with Mozilla Firefox
    ..8. Worked fine with it as well.

    I used to use slimbrowser and frequently it would not display all the
    pictures on a page. Mainly this happened with phpbb forums and such that
    have a lot of small images.

    Have you tested your page with IE as well? What version of IE are you
    using?

    Jim Roberts
    Jim Roberts, Apr 3, 2004
  4. J. Codling

    J. Codling Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Funny you mention the problem with SlimBrowser. That is my
    browser of choice and I never noticed any problems before.
    Nothing has done this before.

    Maybe it is time to change to another tabbed browser...

    I just checked it in IE 6.0 and it still did it. Strange...

    Wait! I just thought of something... ;)

    I checked it by browsing from my server and it DID NOT do it
    so I'm not worried about it anymore. I think it is my main
    system's fault. I was just worried I did something wrong in
    CSS and wanted to fix it and learn the right way. Thanks for
    the help!

    J. Codling, Apr 3, 2004
  5. J. Codling

    Jim Roberts Guest

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Funny you mention the problem with SlimBrowser. That is my
    > browser of choice and I never noticed any problems before.
    > Nothing has done this before.
    >
    > Maybe it is time to change to another tabbed browser...
    >
    > I just checked it in IE 6.0 and it still did it. Strange...
    >
    > Wait! I just thought of something... ;)
    >
    > I checked it by browsing from my server and it DID NOT do it
    > so I'm not worried about it anymore. I think it is my main
    > system's fault. I was just worried I did something wrong in
    > CSS and wanted to fix it and learn the right way. Thanks for
    > the help!

    I was having problems with Slimbrowser not executing java script. I wasn't
    able to fix the problem, Kept getting script errors on everything. I use to
    love slimbrowser. It has good ad blocking and pop-up control. I just hate
    IE's poor CSS support, among other things. You should check out Mozilla
    Firefox. It took some getting used to after using IE for so long, but I'll
    never go back now. :).

    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Roberts, Apr 3, 2004