    displayed - in ie it works fine.
    Am I doing something wrong??
    SER
    Net5, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Net5

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Net5 said:

    > In both Netscape and Firefox, the background jpg for the page isn't
    > displayed - in ie it works fine.
    > Am I doing something wrong??

    yes

    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 17, 2004

  3. in alt.html, Net5 wrote:

    > In both Netscape and Firefox, the background jpg for the page isn't
    > displayed - in ie it works fine.
    > Am I doing something wrong??

    Yes.
    URL?

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 17, 2004
  4. On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:16:53 +1000, brucie wrote:

    > In alt.html Net5 said:
    >
    >> In both Netscape and Firefox, the background jpg for the page isn't
    >> displayed - in ie it works fine.
    >> Am I doing something wrong??

    > yes

    No

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Nov 17, 2004
  5. On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:16:53 +1000, brucie wrote:

    > In alt.html Net5 said:
    >
    >> In both Netscape and Firefox, the background jpg for the page isn't
    >> displayed - in ie it works fine.
    >> Am I doing something wrong??

    > yes

    Maybe

    Jeffrey Silverman, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Net5

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Net5 <> said:

    > Am I doing something wrong??

    Yes, you're not telling us the URL. You must have missed the memo that
    crystal ball cleaning day has been moved to Thursdays.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Nov 17, 2004
  7. On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:16:53 +1000, brucie wrote:

    > yes

    crayons taste good

    --
    Fudgy G. McNuggets
    Jeffrey Silverman, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Net5

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Jeffrey Silverman said:

    > crayons taste good

    only the soybean ones

    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 17, 2004
  9. Net5

    Jan Faerber Guest

    brucie wrote:

    >> In both Netscape and Firefox, the background jpg for the page isn't
    >> displayed - in ie it works fine.
    >> Am I doing something wrong??

    > yes

    lol - I wish I had IE now.
    http://www.microsoft.com/unix/ie/default.asp
    Is there any?

    <hm>
    background-image
    css 1.0
    netscape 4.0
    IE 3.0

    body {
    background-image:url(images/***.gif); background-repeat:no-repeat;
    background-attachment:fixed; padding:0px; }
    </hm>

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com
    Jan Faerber, Nov 18, 2004
  10. Jan Faerber enlightened us with:
    > lol - I wish I had IE now.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/unix/ie/default.asp Is there any?

    I use Crossover Office to test my stuff on MSIE. Works pretty well.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 18, 2004
  11. Net5

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 18, 2004
  12. Net5

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > IE for Unix was an unbelievable lump of shite anyway.

    How does that differ from IE for Windows? ;)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Nov 18, 2004
  13. Net5

    Net5 Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:29:16 +1100, Mark Parnell
    <> wrote:

    >Previously in alt.html, Net5 <> said:
    >
    >> Am I doing something wrong??

    >Yes, you're not telling us the URL. You must have missed the memo that
    >crystal ball cleaning day has been moved to Thursdays.

    Your right, here is a clip of the code in the css file showing the ulr
    link.
    Net5, Nov 19, 2004
  14. Net5

    rf Guest

    Net5 wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:29:16 +1100, Mark Parnell
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Previously in alt.html, Net5 <> said:
    > >
    > >> Am I doing something wrong??

    > >Yes, you're not telling us the URL. You must have missed the memo that
    > >crystal ball cleaning day has been moved to Thursdays.

    > Your

    The word is you're. *Your* credibility is falling :)

    > right, here is a clip of the code in the css file showing the ulr
    > link.

    <grin/>

    And just where is that clip?

    You really have to get your act together if you expect us to pay any
    attention to you :)

    BTW it is URL, not ulr.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 19, 2004
  15. Net5

    Neal Guest

    rf wrote:

    > BTW it is URL, not ulr.

    I think that's Japanese.

    /ducks
    Neal, Nov 19, 2004
  16. Net5

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> IE for Unix was an unbelievable lump of shite anyway.

    > How does that differ from IE for Windows? ;)

    The fact that IE for Windows is a lump of shite is more readily
    believable, as most of us have experienced it at some point.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Nov 19, 2004
  17. Net5

    Net5 Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:38:23 GMT, "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    >Net5 wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:29:16 +1100, Mark Parnell
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >Yes, you're not telling us the URL. You must have missed the memo that
    >> >crystal ball cleaning day has been moved to Thursdays.

    >> Your

    >The word is you're. *Your* credibility is falling :)
    >
    >> right, here is a clip of the code in the css file showing the ulr
    >> link.

    ><grin/>
    >
    >And just where is that clip?
    >
    >You really have to get your act together if you expect us to pay any
    >attention to you :)
    >
    >BTW it is URL, not ulr.

    Nit-pick, I'm not a professional like you, maybe you coiuld cut some
    slack and help me solve the problem.

    This is the section from the css file. According to my book, XHTML
    Black Book, it is correct. W3C validates the XHTML and CSS code.
    IE has no problem displaying the background correctly, Netscape and
    Mozilla Firefox won't display the background image.

    Do you know why????

    body {
    font-size: 12px;
    font-style: normal;
    line-height: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-variant: normal;
    text-transform: none;
    color: #000000;
    text-decoration: none;
    background-image: url(Images/pgbg.jpg);
    background-color: #ffffff;
    background-position: center;
    background-repeat: repeat;
    background-attachment: scroll; }
    Net5, Nov 21, 2004
  18. Net5

    Neal Guest

    Net5 wrote:

    > This is the section from the css file. According to my book, XHTML
    > Black Book, it is correct.

    Never heard of this book. Author?

    > W3C validates the XHTML and CSS code.
    > IE has no problem displaying the background correctly, Netscape and
    > Mozilla Firefox won't display the background image.
    >
    > Do you know why????
    >
    > body {
    > font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

    Why Verdana? Lose it, it's not suited for the WWW.

    > font-size: 12px;

    Fonts in pixels are NOT suited for the web.

    > font-style: normal;

    Why add this? Do you expect italics?

    > line-height: normal;

    Again...

    > font-weight: normal;
    > font-variant: normal;
    > text-transform: none;

    Again, again, again...

    > color: #000000;
    > text-decoration: none;

    Again...

    > background-image: url(Images/pgbg.jpg);

    Accoding to the specs this could also be:

    background-image: url("Images/pgbg.jpg");

    Have you tried it?

    > background-color: #ffffff;
    > background-position: center;

    This puts the image dead center.

    > background-repeat: repeat;

    And it repeats X and Y.

    > background-attachment: scroll; }

    Try removing one or more of the background properties and see what
    happens. Start, though, by adding quotes to the background-image value.
    Neal, Nov 21, 2004
  19. Net5

    rf Guest

    Net5 wrote:

    > Nit-pick, I'm not a professional like you, maybe you coiuld cut some
    > slack and help me solve the problem.

    Maybe you could actually *help* us to solve the problem for you.

    Three people so far have asked you for the URL to the page in question. You
    have still not supplied this. You will note that those three people have
    ceased contributing to this thread. They will probably continue to do so
    until the URL is forthcoming.

    Without the URL any sort of "answer" will be pure guesswork.. Supplying a
    snippit of CSS that may or may not have been copy/pasted correctly is not
    good enough. The error may be, and probably is, elsewhere.

    That said however, I usually put "s around the url in the background-image.
    So do most of the examples in the specification.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Nov 21, 2004
  20. Net5

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Net5 <> wrote:

    > This is the section from the css file. According to my book, XHTML
    > Black Book, it is correct. W3C validates the XHTML and CSS code.
    > IE has no problem displaying the background correctly, Netscape and
    > Mozilla Firefox won't display the background image.

    > background-image: url(Images/pgbg.jpg);

    Is the file path correct? Thought of lowercase/uppercase differences?
    You know of course that any file referenced to from the CSS file has
    it's path start from where the CSS file is located, not where the
    document is located that calls for the CSS file.

    So in the following setup...

    /index.html
    /css/main.css
    /images/pgbg.jpg

    ...the correct path from the main.css to the image would be
    .../images/pgbg.jpg or /images/pgbg.jpg.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Nov 21, 2004