    not in safari.

    Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!
    , Nov 30, 2005

  2. vdP Guest

    wrote:
    > I cannot seem to get my new css layout
    > (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
    > in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
    > not in safari.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!

    I hate to disappoint you, but your page doesn't work in (my) Opera 8.51
    on Windows XP SP2 either. Unfortunately, I don't know why, but maybe
    somebody else does.

    vdP
    vdP, Nov 30, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I cannot seem to get my new css layout
    > (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
    > in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
    > not in safari.

    Firefox 1.0.7, Win2K.

    You must have really super good eyes, jspsfo. 11px italic text is
    extremely hard to read. You should stop using <em> for the complete
    content. (Yeah, Slashdot is hard to read as well.)

    Set: body { font-size: 100%; ... } That way we will all get our
    preferred default size and we will be happy. Only adjust other parts as
    necessary, such as h1 {font-size: 160%; }, h2 .. etc.

    I changed:
    .postBox { /* added the following */
    font-size:100%;
    font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

    and added:
    em { font-style: normal; }

    and it was readable. By the way, this is really easy to do with the
    Firefox Web Developer Toolbar, and "Edit CSS".
    http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    It seems to be stuck on the left side of my browser window.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2005

    Thanks very much for the info bts - I appreciate you taking the time.

    As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
    for browsers which have HUGE default sizes? Ideally I'd like some
    control over this.
    , Nov 30, 2005
  5. wrote:

    > As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
    > for browsers which have HUGE default sizes?

    Use lengths that are relative to the font size for specifying
    heights/widths/etc of elements.

    > Ideally I'd like some control over this.

    If they user has picked a huge font size, it is almost certainly due to
    being unable to comfortably read anything smaller. Having control over this
    would not be a good thing.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?",
    finally proclaimed:

    > As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
    > for browsers which have HUGE default sizes?

    Don't even try to. If the user has chosen a large default-font size,
    that is their right to do so. Who are you to come along and make it
    difficult for them to read a site? If the *browser* was initially set to
    have a large font size, then the user will probably be used to this and
    not care if your site has a larger font that on their mate's machine.

    > Ideally I'd like some control over this.

    The user's choice of default font size is not yours to "control". Stop
    wanting this.

    Apologies for being über-blunt, but sometimes it just needs saying :)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.
    Dylan Parry, Nov 30, 2005

    fair enough - I shan't mess with the font size (or rather leave it at
    100%) :)

    but...
    >>>Use lengths that are relative to the font size for specifying

    heights/widths/etc of elements.

    can you give an example? for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
    is this acceptable?
    , Nov 30, 2005
  8. wrote:

    >> Use lengths that are relative to the font size for specifying
    >> heights/widths/etc of elements.

    > can you give an example?

    width: 25em;

    > for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
    > is this acceptable?

    Assuming that the syntax you use doesn't have a space in it, then it
    conforms to the CSS syntax rules. It isn't a length that is relative to the
    font size though.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Nov 30, 2005
  9. dorayme Guest

    > I cannot seem to get my new css layout
    > (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
    > in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
    > not in safari.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!

    I will look when I next fire up Safari if you have not already
    been helped. In the meantime, you left out a hash in the css on
    ..tablecontent for background-color...

    Oh, and your font-size is too small. Let loose and let the user
    decide more (at least be a bit conservative if you are going to
    specify less than 100% - 100% is /supposed/ to mean the size at
    which the reasonably intelligent user of a browser finds
    comfortable by either (a) setting it how he or she finds it
    comfortable or (b) not changing it because he or she finds it
    set right for well designed sites. Yes, i know, there is
    something fishily motherhood about the last clause. Anyway, I
    would not recommend using px. At least don't do this. You will
    for sure be advised by others about this. You have already made
    the design narrow in fixed width, I expect you then feel the
    need to follow this constraint logic and cram things in... Maybe
    you need to consider letting loose with the design and allowing
    more of a users screen to be used and then less need to fix
    small fonts. Excuse me for slight digress...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 30, 2005
  10. Frank Olieu Guest

    _ skrev | wrote | écrivit (30-11-2005 19:29):

    > I cannot seem to get my new css layout
    > (http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
    > in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
    > not in safari.

    Well, it doesn't look too good in Konqueror either (Linux KDE, same rendering
    engine as Safari), but it's still 'viewable'.
    Opera 8.5 Win32 (XP sp2) : breaks almost completely...
    IE6 and Firefox 1.5 : some small differences, but somehow usable.

    I'm not sure this helps a lot... :)

    --
    Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
    Frank
    Frank Olieu, Nov 30, 2005
  11. wrote:

    > fair enough - I shan't mess with the font size (or rather leave it at
    > 100%) :)

    Not setting at all is acceptable, but purposely setting it to 100% shows
    you mean it, and may help with some browsers' quirks.

    > but...

    > heights/widths/etc of elements.
    >
    > can you give an example? for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
    > is this acceptable?

    Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
    Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs, text-only
    browsers...

    While you're here, please read this page:

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2005

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
    > Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs, text-only
    > browsers...
    >
    > While you're here, please read this page:
    > http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    I thank you bts and everyone else for their time and patience. It
    appears I have a lot of work (and learning) to do before a CSS version
    of my page is ready.
    , Nov 30, 2005
  13. dorayme Guest

    > From: "" <>
    > Thanks very much for the info bts - I appreciate you taking the time.
    >
    > As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
    > for browsers which have HUGE default sizes? Ideally I'd like some
    > control over this.

    Yes, I understand what you are saying. The short answer is: you
    can't do this by simple font-size commands. You need to design
    so that it is looks ok at normal browser settings and - hey! -
    not so bad bigger or smaller. This is hard work. You need to
    work hard and try different designs.

    It is an arms race. People design sites that are hard to
    read and so browser settings go up and then the sensible designs
    that allow people to comfortably read stuff look childishly
    huge! It is a constant battle this one and there are no easy
    answers. But there is one overriding thing I will say to you
    son... Come a little closer and listen: quality will win
    out in the end. It is not your fault that some people or even a
    lot of people have defensive browser settings to cope with bad
    font-size commands by other developers. As the grandpa in
    Witness said to John Book (Harrison Ford: Be careful among them
    English and to Rachel, (the lovely Kelly McGillis) "Be not among
    them" or words to that effect.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 30, 2005
  14. wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
    >> Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs,
    >> text-only browsers...
    >>
    >> While you're here, please read this page:
    >> http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    > I thank you bts and everyone else for their time and patience. It
    > appears I have a lot of work (and learning) to do before a CSS
    > version of my page is ready.

    Switching from fixed presentational markup to CSS is a .. different
    mindset? Takes some bit of getting used to...

    Oh, get yourself a real newsreader, and use Usenet like it supposed to
    be used. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2005