CSS and Safari - Help Please

vdP

I cannot seem to get my new css layout
(http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
not in safari.

Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!
I hate to disappoint you, but your page doesn't work in (my) Opera 8.51
on Windows XP SP2 either. Unfortunately, I don't know why, but maybe
somebody else does.

vdP

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I cannot seem to get my new css layout
(http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
not in safari.

Firefox 1.0.7, Win2K.

You must have really super good eyes, jspsfo. 11px italic text is
extremely hard to read. You should stop using <em> for the complete
content. (Yeah, Slashdot is hard to read as well.)

Set: body { font-size: 100%; ... } That way we will all get our
preferred default size and we will be happy. Only adjust other parts as
necessary, such as h1 {font-size: 160%; }, h2 .. etc.

I changed:
.postBox { /* added the following */
font-size:100%;
font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

and added:
em { font-style: normal; }

and it was readable. By the way, this is really easy to do with the
Firefox Web Developer Toolbar, and "Edit CSS".
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

It seems to be stuck on the left side of my browser window.

jspsfo

Thanks very much for the info bts - I appreciate you taking the time.

As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
for browsers which have HUGE default sizes? Ideally I'd like some
control over this.

David Dorward

As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
for browsers which have HUGE default sizes?

Use lengths that are relative to the font size for specifying
heights/widths/etc of elements.
Ideally I'd like some control over this.

If they user has picked a huge font size, it is almost certainly due to
being unable to comfortably read anything smaller. Having control over this
would not be a good thing.

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?",
(e-mail address removed) finally proclaimed:
As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
for browsers which have HUGE default sizes?

Don't even try to. If the user has chosen a large default-font size,
that is their right to do so. Who are you to come along and make it
difficult for them to read a site? If the *browser* was initially set to
have a large font size, then the user will probably be used to this and
not care if your site has a larger font that on their mate's machine.
Ideally I'd like some control over this.

The user's choice of default font size is not yours to "control". Stop
wanting this.

Apologies for being über-blunt, but sometimes it just needs saying :)

jspsfo

fair enough - I shan't mess with the font size (or rather leave it at
100%) :)

but...heights/widths/etc of elements.

can you give an example? for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
is this acceptable?

David Dorward

can you give an example?

width: 25em;
for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
is this acceptable?

Assuming that the syntax you use doesn't have a space in it, then it
conforms to the CSS syntax rules. It isn't a length that is relative to the
font size though.

dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)
I cannot seem to get my new css layout
(http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
not in safari.

Can anyone offer any insight - it would be greatly appreciated!

I will look when I next fire up Safari if you have not already
been helped. In the meantime, you left out a hash in the css on
..tablecontent for background-color...

Oh, and your font-size is too small. Let loose and let the user
decide more (at least be a bit conservative if you are going to
specify less than 100% - 100% is /supposed/ to mean the size at
which the reasonably intelligent user of a browser finds
comfortable by either (a) setting it how he or she finds it
comfortable or (b) not changing it because he or she finds it
set right for well designed sites. Yes, i know, there is
something fishily motherhood about the last clause. Anyway, I
would not recommend using px. At least don't do this. You will
for sure be advised by others about this. You have already made
the design narrow in fixed width, I expect you then feel the
need to follow this constraint logic and cram things in... Maybe
you need to consider letting loose with the design and allowing
more of a users screen to be used and then less need to fix
small fonts. Excuse me for slight digress...

Frank Olieu

I cannot seem to get my new css layout
(http://footprints.organique.com/ij-css-only2.html) to render properly
in Safari. It's fine in every other browser/platform I've tested but
not in safari.

Well, it doesn't look too good in Konqueror either (Linux KDE, same rendering
engine as Safari), but it's still 'viewable'.
Opera 8.5 Win32 (XP sp2) : breaks almost completely...
IE6 and Firefox 1.5 : some small differences, but somehow usable.

I'm not sure this helps a lot... :)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

fair enough - I shan't mess with the font size (or rather leave it at
100%) :)

Not setting at all is acceptable, but purposely setting it to 100% shows
you mean it, and may help with some browsers' quirks.
but...
heights/widths/etc of elements.

can you give an example? for instance my .mainbox is set at 595 px -
is this acceptable?

Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs, text-only
browsers...

While you're here, please read this page:

jspsfo

Beauregard said:
Why set it at all? Google for: "anysizedesign" or "liquid layout"
Write it so the site works everywhere: mobile phones, PDAs, text-only
browsers...

While you're here, please read this page:

I thank you bts and everyone else for their time and patience. It
appears I have a lot of work (and learning) to do before a CSS version
of my page is ready.

dorayme

From: "[email protected] said:
Thanks very much for the info bts - I appreciate you taking the time.

As for setting the font size to 100% - how can I compensate the design
for browsers which have HUGE default sizes? Ideally I'd like some
control over this.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. The short answer is: you
can't do this by simple font-size commands. You need to design
so that it is looks ok at normal browser settings and - hey! -
not so bad bigger or smaller. This is hard work. You need to
work hard and try different designs.

It is an arms race. People design sites that are hard to
read and so browser settings go up and then the sensible designs
that allow people to comfortably read stuff look childishly
huge! It is a constant battle this one and there are no easy
answers. But there is one overriding thing I will say to you
son... Come a little closer and listen: quality will win
out in the end. It is not your fault that some people or even a
lot of people have defensive browser settings to cope with bad
font-size commands by other developers. As the grandpa in
Witness said to John Book (Harrison Ford: Be careful among them
English and to Rachel, (the lovely Kelly McGillis) "Be not among
them" or words to that effect.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I thank you bts and everyone else for their time and patience. It
appears I have a lot of work (and learning) to do before a CSS
version of my page is ready.

Switching from fixed presentational markup to CSS is a .. different
mindset? Takes some bit of getting used to...

Oh, get yourself a real newsreader, and use Usenet like it supposed to
be used. <g>