    settings in the browsers..... ?????

    Thanks!

    Leslie
    Leslie, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Leslie

    rf Guest

    "Leslie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've discovered (basically by error of omission) that if I fail to
    > include a background color or graphic in my stylesheet the background
    > defaults to white. I've viewed the page in IE 6.0, Mozilla 1.4, and
    > Opera 6.05.
    >
    > If I want a white background can I safely leave that out of my
    > stylesheet? What happens in older browsers? I remember from years
    > ago that if no background was specified in the body tag the background
    > was a flat gray, #c0c0c0, I think. Is the white produced in the above
    > browsers a true white: #ffffff ??
    >
    > Then again, maybe the white background I'm seeing is from the default
    > settings in the browsers..... ?????

    Correct. And it is a user changable setting as you will discover if you (IE)
    drop down tools->internet options->general->color.

    If you specify a colour for text you should specify a background colour as
    well. You may just choose a text colour identical to the users default
    background colour.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Leslie

    Leslie Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:51:17 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"Leslie" <> wrote in message
    >> I've discovered (basically by error of omission) that if I fail to
    >> include a background color or graphic in my stylesheet the background
    >> defaults to white. I've viewed the page in IE 6.0, Mozilla 1.4, and
    >> Opera 6.05.
    >>
    >> If I want a white background can I safely leave that out of my
    >> stylesheet? What happens in older browsers? I remember from years
    >> ago that if no background was specified in the body tag the background
    >> was a flat gray, #c0c0c0, I think. Is the white produced in the above
    >> browsers a true white: #ffffff ??
    >>
    >> Then again, maybe the white background I'm seeing is from the default
    >> settings in the browsers..... ?????

    >Correct. And it is a user changable setting as you will discover if you (IE)
    >drop down tools->internet options->general->color.
    >
    >If you specify a colour for text you should specify a background colour as
    >well. You may just choose a text colour identical to the users default
    >background colour.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Richard.

    Thanks, Richard. It was only after I'd typed all but the last
    sentence of this post that the browser default setting occurred to me.

    I'm sure default font size is something a lot of people change for
    various reasons, but do many really change the default background
    color? Why would someone do that?

    Leslie
    Leslie, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Leslie

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    Leslie <> wrote in

    > I'm sure default font size is something a lot of people change for
    > various reasons, but do many really change the default background
    > color? Why would someone do that?

    Personal preference, lighting conditions, eyesight, who knows?

    Christopher Schmidt has distinguished three "audience categories" for Web
    sites:

    1) "Readers" who are looking to read fairly lengthy narrative prose,
    poetry, or view works of fine art.

    2) "Customers" who are looking to accomplish a specific short-term task,
    such as buying a product or answering a technical question.

    3) "Experience seekers" who are primarily concerned with the aesthetics and
    avant-gardeness of what they see on the Web.

    People who spend a lot of time in the first category are probably very
    likely to customize their browser's presentation settings, since their
    biggest concern is that the material is as readable as possible to them
    (and remember that reading on screen is usually harder than reading on
    paper). People who are primarily in the last category are probably
    unlikely to do much customization. People primarily in the middle category
    probably won't do much customization unless they find the defaults
    particularly annoying.
    Eric Bohlman, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Leslie

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:57:51 GMT, Leslie <> wrote:

    : I've discovered (basically by error of omission) that if I fail to
    : include a background color or graphic in my stylesheet the background
    : defaults to white.

    My default is a tint of blue - that's what I'll get. Safe is to specify the
    bgcolor explicitly.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Leslie

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 02:20:57 GMT, Leslie <> wrote:

    : but do many really change the default background
    : color? Why would someone do that?

    Protecting my eyes.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 26, 2003
  7. Leslie

    Leslie Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 07:42:31 +0200, Sid Ismail <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:57:51 GMT, Leslie <> wrote:
    >
    >: I've discovered (basically by error of omission) that if I fail to
    >: include a background color or graphic in my stylesheet the background
    >: defaults to white.
    >

    >My default is a tint of blue - that's what I'll get. Safe is to specify the
    >bgcolor explicitly.
    >
    >Sid

    Interesting.... I've always made sure there is sufficient contrast
    between the bg color and font color, but I've never given any thought
    to viewers overriding my color choices. Something to think about!

    how many people actually change the default bg color, and do you make
    that change for ALL sites? or just those you find harder to
    read.....?? If you change the bg color do you also change the font
    color?

    Leslie
    Leslie, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Leslie wrote:
    > how many people actually change the default bg color,

    It's not just people - different browsers come with different background
    colours by default.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 26, 2003
  9. William Tasso wrote:

    > Leslie wrote:
    >> how many people actually change the default bg color,

    > It's not just people - different browsers come with different background
    > colours by default.

    True. Early versions of Internet Explorer (up to version 3?) and Netscape
    (up to 4.x?) have a grey background. Newer versions of each use white, as
    do Mozilla and Opera. Dillo has light brown.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 27, 2003