CSS based horizontal menu bar, need help as not working in Opera & Mac/IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Reckless, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Reckless

    Reckless Guest

    Hiya,

    After posting this in a forum with no responses :( I thought I'd try my luck
    here. 1st time posted here so apologies if this isn't the best place for it.

    I found a thread on a forum
    (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=19289&page=1&pp=15)
    which seemed like an excellent menu system (menu authored by Brothercake).
    However, I needed a horizontal menu bar and there was a non-working demo
    which looked like just what I needed within the replies.

    However, when I grabbed the code tried it out it didn't seem to work
    properly on Opera (I tried it on V7.54) or Mac/IE. In both cases the main
    items on the menu bar sit in a vertical stack instead of next to each other
    on the menubar.

    Are there any gurus out there who could help me out please?

    My test page is here (http://www.adamhearn.co.uk/web/menubar.html)

    It uses CSS (internal to the HTML) and some Javascript. I've not edited
    either of these components from the original example I downloaded. I have
    placed the javascript into an external file however.

    I've tested the menubar under IE6, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Safari and
    Mac/IE. The priority is Opera but I'd also like some sort of solution for
    Mac/IE given that I have a few users with that browser (they cannot run
    Safari as they don't have OS X!).

    Thanks in advance !!
    Reckless, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Reckless

    Deryck Guest

    "Reckless" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya,

    Morning

    > Are there any gurus out there who could help me out please?

    No, but I'll have a go :)

    Try this:
    /* main nav */
    ul#menu { cursor: default; position: absolute; z-index: 1000; top: 64px;
    left: 0; width: 100% }

    thats width 100% rather than auto. Works for me in Opera now.

    HTH

    Deryck
    Deryck, Oct 20, 2004