CSS Basic Question

ethanjones88

Hi,
I am new to this whole CSS thing....so please excuse me if my question
sounds stupid.

Question:

Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

I need to look at a particular design of a site..... unfortunately the
html files cannot be found.... but I have all the .css files.

Would appreciate your advice.

Thank you in advance.
Ethan

dorayme

Question:

Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

Can you have a smile without a face? Can the effect of a gene for
making hair red be seen in an organism that lacks the genes for
making hair?

CSS sheets are instructions for styling things. They are like
giant conditional statements, if there is a paragraph <p>, then
indent it thus, font it thus and so on. If there is no <p>, then
the status of the consequent does not arise.

To see the effects of a css instruction you need the source of a
webpage, an .html (or .htm or .php .. but lets keep it simple) is
needed. If you have none on your computer, you can make some or
you can copy some from the internet. You can also put in
stylesheets for your browser to follow on other peoples webpages,
to over-ride the instructions that the author recommends.

Bergamot

Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
if you have just the .css files and no .html files.
No

I need to look at a particular design of a site..... unfortunately the
html files cannot be found.... but I have all the .css files.

The CSS merely styles the HTML and does nothing on its own.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
Hi,
I am new to this whole CSS thing....so please excuse me if my question
sounds stupid.

Question:

Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

I need to look at a particular design of a site..... unfortunately the
html files cannot be found.... but I have all the .css files.

Would appreciate your advice.

Thank you in advance.
Ethan

As others have so, no, but, a program can give you something to work
with, especially colors and such. I use TopStyle from Bradsoft
<http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle>.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dorayme:
Can you have a smile without a face?

I remember having read a book where a cat's smile appears without a cat.
CSS sheets are instructions for styling things. They are like
giant conditional statements, if there is a paragraph <p>, then
indent it thus, font it thus and so on. If there is no <p>, then
the status of the consequent does not arise.

Yes, but if you just have a style sheet, you could use a _generic_ HTML
document to see how it gets formatted, such as
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/testel.html

It won't tell you everything, since it won't e.g. reveal how a <p> element
gets rendered when it appears inside <div class="foo">, which might be
something special if the style sheet contains a rule like div.foo p {
font-size: 6px; }.

Ethan2007

Scripsit dorayme:

I remember having read a book where a cat's smile appears without a cat.

Yes, but if you just have a style sheet, you could use a _generic_ HTML
document to see how it gets formatted, such ashttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/testel.html

It won't tell you everything, since it won't e.g. reveal how a <p> element
gets rendered when it appears inside <div class="foo">, which might be
something special if the style sheet contains a rule like div.foo p {
font-size: 6px; }.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.
Regards
Ethan

Ethan2007

Scripsit dorayme:

I remember having read a book where a cat's smile appears without a cat.

Yes, but if you just have a style sheet, you could use a _generic_ HTML
document to see how it gets formatted, such ashttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/testel.html

It won't tell you everything, since it won't e.g. reveal how a <p> element
gets rendered when it appears inside <div class="foo">, which might be
something special if the style sheet contains a rule like div.foo p {
font-size: 6px; }.

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice..... Much appreciated.
Regards,
Ethan