    Thank you in advance.
    Ethan

    , Sep 16, 2007

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Question:
    >
    > Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
    > if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

    Can you have a smile without a face? Can the effect of a gene for
    making hair red be seen in an organism that lacks the genes for
    making hair?

    CSS sheets are instructions for styling things. They are like
    giant conditional statements, if there is a paragraph <p>, then
    indent it thus, font it thus and so on. If there is no <p>, then
    the status of the consequent does not arise.

    To see the effects of a css instruction you need the source of a
    webpage, an .html (or .htm or .php .. but lets keep it simple) is
    needed. If you have none on your computer, you can make some or
    you can copy some from the internet. You can also put in
    stylesheets for your browser to follow on other peoples webpages,
    to over-ride the instructions that the author recommends.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    > Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
    > if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

    No

    > I need to look at a particular design of a site..... unfortunately the
    > html files cannot be found.... but I have all the .css files.

    The CSS merely styles the HTML and does nothing on its own.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Sep 16, 2007
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Hi,
    > I am new to this whole CSS thing....so please excuse me if my question
    > sounds stupid.
    >
    > Question:
    >
    > Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
    > if you have just the .css files and no .html files.
    >
    > I need to look at a particular design of a site..... unfortunately the
    > html files cannot be found.... but I have all the .css files.
    >
    > Would appreciate your advice.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    > Ethan

    As others have so, no, but, a program can give you something to work
    with, especially colors and such. I use TopStyle from Bradsoft
    <http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle>.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 16, 2007
  5. Scripsit dorayme:

    >> Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
    >> if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

    > Can you have a smile without a face?

    I remember having read a book where a cat's smile appears without a cat.

    > CSS sheets are instructions for styling things. They are like
    > giant conditional statements, if there is a paragraph <p>, then
    > indent it thus, font it thus and so on. If there is no <p>, then
    > the status of the consequent does not arise.

    Yes, but if you just have a style sheet, you could use a _generic_ HTML
    document to see how it gets formatted, such as
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/testel.html

    It won't tell you everything, since it won't e.g. reveal how a <p> element
    gets rendered when it appears inside <div class="foo">, which might be
    something special if the style sheet contains a rule like div.foo p {
    font-size: 6px; }.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 16, 2007
  6. Ethan2007 Guest

    On Sep 16, 2:26 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit dorayme:
    >
    > >> Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
    > >> if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

    > > Can you have a smile without a face?

    > I remember having read a book where a cat's smile appears without a cat.
    >
    > > CSS sheets are instructions for styling things. They are like
    > > giant conditional statements, if there is a paragraph <p>, then
    > > indent it thus, font it thus and so on. If there is no <p>, then
    > > the status of the consequent does not arise.

    > Yes, but if you just have a style sheet, you could use a _generic_ HTML
    > document to see how it gets formatted, such ashttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/testel.html
    >
    > It won't tell you everything, since it won't e.g. reveal how a <p> element
    > gets rendered when it appears inside <div class="foo">, which might be
    > something special if the style sheet contains a rule like div.foo p {
    > font-size: 6px; }.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.
    Regards
    Ethan

    Ethan2007, Sep 16, 2007
  7. Ethan2007 Guest

    On Sep 16, 2:26 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    > Scripsit dorayme:
    >
    > >> Is it possible to see how a front-end (the web-page) would look like,
    > >> if you have just the .css files and no .html files.

    > > Can you have a smile without a face?

    > I remember having read a book where a cat's smile appears without a cat.
    >
    > > CSS sheets are instructions for styling things. They are like
    > > giant conditional statements, if there is a paragraph <p>, then
    > > indent it thus, font it thus and so on. If there is no <p>, then
    > > the status of the consequent does not arise.

    > Yes, but if you just have a style sheet, you could use a _generic_ HTML
    > document to see how it gets formatted, such ashttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/testel.html
    >
    > It won't tell you everything, since it won't e.g. reveal how a <p> element
    > gets rendered when it appears inside <div class="foo">, which might be
    > something special if the style sheet contains a rule like div.foo p {
    > font-size: 6px; }.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Thank you everyone for your replies and advice..... Much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Ethan

    Ethan2007, Sep 16, 2007