CSS Book

Robert G

I have seen one called Sams Teach yourself CSS in 24 hours. It has mixed
reviews on the Amazon.com website. Some Really good and some really bad.
Anyone use it. comments.

Andy Dingley

Hi what is a good CSS Book to learn css

Depends who you ask - opinions vary.

My favourite is still Lie and Bos' "Cascading Style Sheets"
It's not the most detailed book around, nor the most up to date, but
it's the most easily understood _learning_ guide that I know.
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201596253/codesmiths-20>

Eric Meyer has a good book for more advanced uses, but I wouldn't like
to try and learn from scratch with it..
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005253/codesmiths-20>
His web site at www.meyerweb.com is worth a look

I don't much like his "CSS2 Programmer's Reference" though
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072131780/codesmiths-20>
Apart from anything, it suffer from "Nielsen syndrome" and is a book
on typograpy that's itself so badly laid out that it's hard to read.

I think Elizabeth Castro has one too, and I always liked her HTML 4
book.

Stephen

In Andy Dingley <[email protected]> expounded:
| On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:17:16 GMT, "Robert G" <[email protected]>
| wrote:
|
|| Hi what is a good CSS Book to learn css
|
| Depends who you ask - opinions vary.

I'm no expert, but everytime I spend money to buy a book on a web authoring
subject it always turns out that another one is better for one area ,
another is better on something else, etc. I have read and watched on this ng
and, between the examples of the experienced webmasters sites, their
comments and answers to questions, and looking up the W3C spec for
reference, I think I have learned more than I could with any one book. Some
of these responders are really good!

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1 and
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2

John M Flinchbaugh

Robert G said:
Hi what is a good CSS Book to learn css

i've not read any books on the subject, but i've found eric
meyer's web articles and such very helpful. if i were looking
for a book on the subject, one of eric's would be the first i'd
buy. it looks as if he wrote the o'reilly book on css.

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/books/

James Smith

Robert said:
I have seen one called Sams Teach yourself CSS in 24 hours. It has mixed
reviews on the Amazon.com website. Some Really good and some really bad.
Anyone use it. comments.
I have it here, great book, I'm still learning but it's easy. I've also
got Learn PHP in 24 hours I got a while back it was easy to use too.

J.

Shawn Modersohn

brucie said:
in post: <

everything you need to know is online and more up-to-date. get a good
printer.

That is what I recommend as well. The w3c CSS2 spec sheet is probably the
best overall reference there is on the subject. I printed the whole thing.
I would estimate I spent around $10 dollars in ink and paper. A bargain as
far as I am concerned. Of course other tutorials are going to help you
reinforce your understanding of the specifications and provide varied
examples as to its uses.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cover.html#minitoc

Webcastmaker

That is what I recommend as well. The w3c CSS2 spec sheet is probably the
best overall reference there is on the subject.

A spec sheet is usually not a great way to learn how to use
something.

Shawn Modersohn

--
WebcastMaker
www.webentations.com

Ordinarily I would agree, but in this case I recommend it highly. Since
this is the spec sheet, it should be all inclusive. Furthermore, even
though it is a spec sheet, it is not totally dry. It does provide examples
with the semantics.