    to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
    if I want it that way. Why is this?
    , Dec 2, 2003

  2. brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    said:

    > According to the w3c site, the border-collapse property has an initial value
    > of 'collapse'. But on IE 5.5 and the latest version of Opera, they both seem
    > to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
    > if I want it that way. Why is this?

    <quote>
    [2001-10-03] Several popular browsers assume an initial value for
    'border-collapse' of 'separate' rather than 'collapse' or exhibit
    behavior that is close to that value, even if they do not actually
    implement the CSS table model. Therefore the CSS WG proposes to change
    the initial value to 'separate', in the expectation that it better
    matches what users expect it to be.
    </quote>
    http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/REC-CSS2-19980512-errata.html

    --
    brucie
    02/December/2003 08:26:02 pm kilo
    brucie, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:08:16 GMT, wrote:

    : According to the w3c site, the border-collapse property has an initial value
    : of 'collapse'. But on IE 5.5 and the latest version of Opera, they both seem
    : to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
    : if I want it that way. Why is this?

    Default is "separate" quoting this website:
    http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/properties/table/bcollapse.htm

    from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#border-conflict-resolution>
    <quote>
    The rule of thumb is that at each edge the most "eye catching" border style
    is chosen, except that any occurrence of the style 'hidden' unconditionally
    turns the border off.
    </quote>

    Also see:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#collapsing-borders

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Dec 2, 2003
  4. DU Guest

    wrote:
    > According to the w3c site, the border-collapse property has an initial value
    > of 'collapse'. But on IE 5.5 and the latest version of Opera, they both seem
    > to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
    > if I want it that way. Why is this?

    W3C CSS2.1 says:

    "C.2.12 Section 17.6 Borders

    Several popular browsers assume an initial value for 'border-collapse'
    of 'separate' rather than 'collapse' or exhibit behavior that is close
    to that value, even if they do not actually implement the CSS table
    model. 'Separate' is now the initial value."

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html#q19
    DU, Dec 2, 2003
  5. brucie <> wrote:

    > http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/REC-CSS2-19980512-errata.html

    Yep, that's the W3C style of defining "standards", so sadly. They
    change the contents of their specifications on the fly, without prior
    or posterior note, and call it an "errata". And they even call the
    "specification" a _stable_ document. Sigh.

    But in this case, this boils down to the principle of setting
    border-collapse for all tables. You could simply add
    table { border-collapse: collapse; }
    into your basic style sheet (if you prefer that rendering) and override
    it in a per-document or per-table basis when eeded.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 2, 2003