    on the right :(

    Or maybe there is another solution?

    Thanks.

    APT, Apr 1, 2005

  2. APT

    Els Guest

    APT wrote:

    > I am finding that obsolute positioning with CSS is not cross browser.
    > Mozilla interprets the position much different that IE.
    >
    > How do I get my page to check the users browser and then use a specific
    > style sheet depending on their browser?
    >
    > Here is the page: http://www.hainesdolphins.org/kayak/html/index.php
    > If you check it in IE and then Mozilla you'll see very different alignments
    > on the right :(
    >
    > Or maybe there is another solution?

    You're not using a doctype, which throws IE into quirks mode, while
    Mozilla probably follows the standards, which is different.
    Use a doctype and it might solve your problem.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Apr 1, 2005

  3. APT

    APT Guest

    I just stuck in a generic doctype. It still doesn't work.

    It actually works in IE and not in Mozilla.
    Thanks for the quick response though.

    Steve

    APT, Apr 1, 2005
  4. APT

    Els Guest

    Hi Steve/APT,

    Please look for your message below, as we read from top to bottom in
    this newsgroup.

    APT wrote:

    > "Els" <> wrote in message
    >> APT wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am finding that obsolute positioning with CSS is not cross browser.
    >>> Mozilla interprets the position much different that IE.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get my page to check the users browser and then use a specific
    >>> style sheet depending on their browser?
    >>>
    >>> Here is the page: http://www.hainesdolphins.org/kayak/html/index.php
    >>> If you check it in IE and then Mozilla you'll see very different
    >>> alignments
    >>> on the right :(
    >>>
    >>> Or maybe there is another solution?

    >> You're not using a doctype, which throws IE into quirks mode, while
    >> Mozilla probably follows the standards, which is different.
    >> Use a doctype and it might solve your problem.

    > I just stuck in a generic doctype. It still doesn't work.
    >
    > It actually works in IE and not in Mozilla.
    > Thanks for the quick response though.

    That's because "a generic doctype" isn't good enough. You need to
    include a dtd, like so:

    or so:

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    Use the former if you want to conform to the standards, or the latter
    if you want to keep using deprecated elements.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Apr 1, 2005
  5. APT

    APT Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Steve/APT,
    >
    > Please look for your message below, as we read from top to bottom in
    > this newsgroup.
    >
    > APT wrote:
    >
    >> "Els" <> wrote in message

    >>> You're not using a doctype, which throws IE into quirks mode, while
    >>> Mozilla probably follows the standards, which is different.
    >>> Use a doctype and it might solve your problem.

    >> I just stuck in a generic doctype. It still doesn't work.
    >>
    >> It actually works in IE and not in Mozilla.
    >> Thanks for the quick response though.

    > That's because "a generic doctype" isn't good enough. You need to
    > include a dtd, like so:

    > or so:

    > Use the former if you want to conform to the standards, or the latter
    > if you want to keep using deprecated elements.
    >
    > --
    > Els http://locusmeus.com/
    > Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    > - Renato Russo -
    > Now playing: Madness - Michael Caine

    Looks like I am going to have to do the CSS over. The doctype cetainly
    changes the pages appearance. I will have to go back and tiddy up my code.

    Thanks for the help... (and the tip on posting at the bottom of the
    message.)

    Steve

    APT, Apr 1, 2005