    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/amtrak.html

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Dennis M. Marks, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Dennis M. Marks

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <151220030716125649%>,
    says...
    > .....Is it just hopeless?

    Yes, if you want it to work in every browser in the world, it is
    hopeless.

    If you make intelligent choices, You can have it work perfectly in about
    95% of the browsers (current versions of IE netscape opera). That is
    about the best you can hope for with out going with such vanilla code
    that your page can be seen by all but looks so shitty that people go
    elsewhere to get the information.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Dennis M. Marks

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Dennis M. Marks" <> wrote:

    >I have a page with about 6 divisions. What appears great on one browser
    >may be too wide, too long, have fields overflowing out of div, larger
    >fonts, etc. I have tried to compromise on settings. I had it looking
    >great on IE and Netscape and then I viewed it with AOL. Now the data in
    >a division overflows the bottom of 2 divisions. What is the best way to
    >place forms (select option) and iframes in divisions and have things
    >positioned correctly in all browsers? Is it just hopeless?
    >
    >http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/amtrak.html

    Stop over specifying things. If you don't specify a height then an
    element will automatically size itsellf to the size of the contents.
    Problem solved.

    And stop using absolute positioning for everything. If you float
    elements rather than positioing them you don't need to set the top
    property and so you don't need to know the height of the preceeding
    element. Problem solved.

    Try this: http://steve.pugh.net/test/amtrak.html

    Of course the page still has major problems (doesn't work at all when
    JavaScript is disabled, uses colour as the only means of denoting
    important information, etc.) but now the content stays inside the
    boxes in IE6, Moz 1.5 and Opera 7.23.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Dennis M. Marks

    Wipkip Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Dennis M. Marks scribbled in the mud:

    > I have a page with about 6 divisions. What appears great on one browser
    > may be too wide, too long, have fields overflowing out of div, larger
    > fonts, etc. I have tried to compromise on settings. I had it looking
    > great on IE and Netscape and then I viewed it with AOL. Now the data in
    > a division overflows the bottom of 2 divisions. What is the best way to
    > place forms (select option) and iframes in divisions and have things
    > positioned correctly in all browsers? Is it just hopeless?
    >
    > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/amtrak.html

    If the person viewing your page is using AOL than they are to retarded to
    know anything might be amiss.

    --
    Duende
    Today I will engage my dynamic perfection

    Wipkip, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Dennis M. Marks

    Wipkip Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Steve Pugh scribbled in the mud:

    > Try this: http://steve.pugh.net/test/amtrak.html
    >
    > Of course the page still has major problems (doesn't work at all when
    > JavaScript is disabled, uses colour as the only means of denoting
    > important information, etc.) but now the content stays inside the
    > boxes in IE6, Moz 1.5 and Opera 7.23.
    >
    > Steve

    Just one question for you Steve or anybody. Could his .js files be rewrittn
    in php. I'm no programmer & have wondered about this before.

    Wipkip, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Wipkip wrote:
    > While sitting in a puddle Steve Pugh scribbled in the mud:
    >
    >> Try this: http://steve.pugh.net/test/amtrak.html
    >>
    >> Of course the page still has major problems (doesn't work at all when
    >> JavaScript is disabled ...

    > Could his .js files be
    > rewrittn in php. I'm no programmer & have wondered about this before.

    I think this falls into the 'which way is up?' category. I suppose it's
    possible to build an os/browser combo that supports php but I don't think
    such an environment exists.

    As for replacing the functionality with server side processing, it depends
    on what the javascript is doing/trying to do.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 15, 2003
  7. In article <brlbto$4ipu9$-berlin.de>, William Tasso
    <> wrote:

    > Wipkip wrote:
    > > While sitting in a puddle Steve Pugh scribbled in the mud:
    > >
    > >> Try this: http://steve.pugh.net/test/amtrak.html
    > >>
    > >> Of course the page still has major problems (doesn't work at all when
    > >> JavaScript is disabled ...

    > > Could his .js files be
    > > rewrittn in php. I'm no programmer & have wondered about this before.

    > I think this falls into the 'which way is up?' category. I suppose it's
    > possible to build an os/browser combo that supports php but I don't think
    > such an environment exists.
    >
    > As for replacing the functionality with server side processing, it depends
    > on what the javascript is doing/trying to do.

    My page is done just for fun and an exercise in programming. I just
    happen to be interested in Amtrak at this time. Can someone who has
    looked at my page please tell me the advantage of positioning a
    division over using a table for my specific site.

    I have already modified it back to using a table since it works. I try
    to use CSS for most of my styles.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Dennis M. Marks, Dec 15, 2003