CSS File Refresh is Not Happening

Smithers

My ASP.NET application enables the user to update a css file that is used to
style pages in the same application. During testing I discovered that
sometimes when the css file gets updated, the browser (IE6/sp2, fully
patched) doesn't show the current styling... i.e., it is not using the
current version of the css file as saved on the server.

I have manually deleted the css file from the local machine and then
refreshed the page. The css file shows up, but not the current version of
the css file (the old version reappears - the one that I just deleted). I'm
guessing that the css file is getting cached *somewhere* but I don't know
where. I'm in a University behind an unknown number of firewalls and proxys
between the client and the Web server.

FWIW: I.E. is currently configured to check for newer versions of the page
on every visit.

Is there any way to make the browser get the current version of the file as
it currently exists on the server?

Thanks.

Ryan Ternier

Smithers said:
[...]

Hmm, I know on our software whenever we update our own CSS files we need
to do a Forced refresh CTFL-F5. That always works with us.

Have you checked your source and downloaded the CSS to see if it was
actually changed?

/RT

Smithers

<< Have you checked your source and downloaded the CSS to see if it was
actually changed?>>

I did better than that - went directly to the server and opened the file
there. It's definitely modified.