CSS File Refresh is Not Happening

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Smithers, May 10, 2005.

  1. Smithers

    Smithers Guest

    My ASP.NET application enables the user to update a css file that is used to
    style pages in the same application. During testing I discovered that
    sometimes when the css file gets updated, the browser (IE6/sp2, fully
    patched) doesn't show the current styling... i.e., it is not using the
    current version of the css file as saved on the server.

    I have manually deleted the css file from the local machine and then
    refreshed the page. The css file shows up, but not the current version of
    the css file (the old version reappears - the one that I just deleted). I'm
    guessing that the css file is getting cached *somewhere* but I don't know
    where. I'm in a University behind an unknown number of firewalls and proxys
    between the client and the Web server.

    FWIW: I.E. is currently configured to check for newer versions of the page
    on every visit.

    Is there any way to make the browser get the current version of the file as
    it currently exists on the server?

    Thanks.

    Smithers, May 10, 2005

  2. Smithers

    Ryan Ternier Guest

    Smithers wrote:
    > My ASP.NET application enables the user to update a css file that is used to
    > style pages in the same application. During testing I discovered that
    > sometimes when the css file gets updated, the browser (IE6/sp2, fully
    > patched) doesn't show the current styling... i.e., it is not using the
    > current version of the css file as saved on the server.
    >
    > I have manually deleted the css file from the local machine and then
    > refreshed the page. The css file shows up, but not the current version of
    > the css file (the old version reappears - the one that I just deleted). I'm
    > guessing that the css file is getting cached *somewhere* but I don't know
    > where. I'm in a University behind an unknown number of firewalls and proxys
    > between the client and the Web server.
    >
    > FWIW: I.E. is currently configured to check for newer versions of the page
    > on every visit.
    >
    > Is there any way to make the browser get the current version of the file as
    > it currently exists on the server?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hmm, I know on our software whenever we update our own CSS files we need
    to do a Forced refresh CTFL-F5. That always works with us.

    Have you checked your source and downloaded the CSS to see if it was
    actually changed?

    /RT

    Ryan Ternier, May 10, 2005

  3. Smithers

    Smithers Guest

    << Have you checked your source and downloaded the CSS to see if it was
    actually changed?>>

    I did better than that - went directly to the server and opened the file
    there. It's definitely modified.

    Smithers, May 11, 2005
  4. Smithers

    Smithers Guest

    Is it possible that IIS itself is caching the css file???

    Smithers, May 11, 2005
  5. Smithers

    Vladimir V Guest

    it's been cached on server (IIS) and client (IE) as well

    Vladimir V, May 11, 2005