CSS + Firefox + Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Thorben Grosser, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Dear Newsgroup,

    at the moment, I am doing a new website for an Open Air Cinema project.
    As I am trying to improve, I tried to do as much as possible in CSS.

    In Firefox, which became my first choice in browsing, the site looks
    quite nice (I think so). But when testing it in MSIE, I was quite shocked.

    Compare for yourself:
    http://gosingen.dyndns.tv/cinevent/website/

    Questions I have:

    - In the menue, why is there that "transparent" looking thing on the left?
    - On the left and right of the table, I ordered to stretch the borders
    to a height of 100%. MSIE doesn't handle percent sizes? (well, now it
    works as i set the bars as background)
    - Why does the transparency at the borders fail? Does MSIE not support
    transparent PNG images? Would I be better off with JPG or GIF? I began
    to like PNG
    - Why do you see the place, where the color gradient stops? In Firefox,
    you dont?

    btw: I checked with the W3C CSS checker, its allright, I checked with
    HTML validator, allright too (well, except for missing ALT tags and the
    background property of the <td>, i could work around this using CSS,
    couldn't I)

    so long
    Thorben
    Thorben Grosser, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Thorben Grosser

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Thorben Grosser wrote:

    > - Why does the transparency at the borders fail? Does MSIE not support
    > transparent PNG images?

    It supports transparent 8-bit PNGs, but it doesn't fully support
    alpha-blended 32-bit PNGs.

    > I checked with HTML validator, allright too (well, except for missing
    > ALT tags and the background property of the <td>,

    Although not related to your problems, missing alt text is one of the MOST
    IMPORTANT errors that the validator can discover.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Thorben Grosser

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    >Although not related to your problems, missing alt text is one of the MOST
    >IMPORTANT errors that the validator can discover.

    It can't, nor can it establish if the text is anything like appropriate,
    it can however detect missing alt attributes.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Thorben Grosser

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Thorben Grosser <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:10:59 +0100
    > Subject: CSS + Firefox + Internet Explorer
    >
    > Dear Newsgroup,

    snip

    > Does MSIE not support
    > transparent PNG images? Would I be better off with JPG or GIF? I began
    > to like PNG

    snip

    > so long
    > Thorben

    What do you like about png, Thorben? I am fairly familiar with it and my
    computer is full of them because it is native to my old Fireworks software,
    but I always convert to jpg or gif for web use... I know some folk *do* use
    png for end result but I have often wondered why (I have simply assumed that
    there is better support for gif and jpg and that jpg and gifs give best
    file size value for needed quality. So, why would you use it for the web?)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 17, 2005
  5. dorayme wrote:

    > What do you like about png, Thorben? I am fairly familiar with it and my
    > computer is full of them because it is native to my old Fireworks software,
    > but I always convert to jpg or gif for web use... I know some folk *do* use
    > png for end result but I have often wondered why (I have simply assumed that
    > there is better support for gif and jpg and that jpg and gifs give best
    > file size value for needed quality. So, why would you use it for the web?)

    well, my reasons were:

    - i needed transparency (correct me if i am not on the actual height of
    graphics), so JPG became obsolete (notice on the right of the page that
    shadow). GIF and PNG left.

    - AFAIR, GIF knows: Transparent and Not Transparent. As I am using
    shadows, "a little transparent" and "a little less transparent" would
    have be fitting my needs.

    And on that, PNG does a good job. Furthermore, I was assuming that PNG
    has the advantages of JPG (like compression) and the advantages of GIF
    (like animation (well, kill the guy who invented it) and transparency).
    If I am wrong, I'd greatly appreciate your advice

    thanks a lot
    Thorben

    (oh yes, PNG has this open-source-feeling, but this has nothing to do
    with reality)
    Thorben Grosser, Feb 17, 2005
  6. Thorben Grosser

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Thorben Grosser <>
    > Newsgroups: alt.html
    > Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:42:42 +0100
    > Subject: Re: CSS + Firefox + Internet Explorer
    >
    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> What do you like about png, Thorben? I am fairly familiar with it and my
    >> computer is full of them because it is native to my old Fireworks software,
    >> but I always convert to jpg or gif for web use... I know some folk *do* use
    >> png for end result but I have often wondered why (I have simply assumed that
    >> there is better support for gif and jpg and that jpg and gifs give best
    >> file size value for needed quality. So, why would you use it for the web?)

    > well, my reasons were:
    >
    > - i needed transparency (correct me if i am not on the actual height of
    > graphics), so JPG became obsolete (notice on the right of the page that
    > shadow). GIF and PNG left.
    >
    > - AFAIR, GIF knows: Transparent and Not Transparent. As I am using
    > shadows, "a little transparent" and "a little less transparent" would
    > have be fitting my needs.
    >
    > And on that, PNG does a good job. Furthermore, I was assuming that PNG
    > has the advantages of JPG (like compression) and the advantages of GIF
    > (like animation (well, kill the guy who invented it) and transparency).
    > If I am wrong, I'd greatly appreciate your advice
    >
    > thanks a lot
    > Thorben
    >
    > (oh yes, PNG has this open-source-feeling, but this has nothing to do
    > with reality)

    Well, I don't know? There are controls over gif to do with compression and
    importantly, transparency (selecting colours to be transparent). Also, I
    often use jpg because of its excellent compression scheme and tonal range
    and implement psuedotransparency at times by the simple artifice of making
    some of the colours match the background of the web page... Personally, I
    feel more confident of better support for gif and jpg than png tho this
    latter may have a few advantages... I guess it gets down to details: I'd
    need to see the raw material, the png that appears on a web page and see why
    it could not be done as well or quickly in gif or jpg. Interesting subject.
    At least to me! Best wishes, Thorben...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 19, 2005