CSS Font-size in DataGrid

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tshad, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. tshad

    tshad Guest

    I am having trouble with links in my DataGrid.

    I have Links all over my page set to smaller and they are consistant all
    over the page in both Mozilla and IE, except for the DataGrid.

    Here is a snippet from my .css file:
    ***************************
    body {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }
    th {
    background-color:#2FABAD;
    color:white;
    }
    td {
    font-size:smaller;
    }
    a {
    font-size:smaller;

    I only have the font-size set in my "td" and "a" rules.

    This makes everything work in both IE and Mozilla outside of the Datagrid
    and the links are the same size in the Datagrid for Mozilla.

    In IE, however the links always seem to be smaller than all the other links.
    The text, however, is always the same size in both IE and Mozilla.

    If I remove the "td" or "a", all the links get larger (as I would expect),
    but in IE the links in the DataGrid is still smaller than the other links on
    the page.

    It is almost as if the Page is setting the links to smaller and the DataGrid
    is setting smaller to the smaller size (doubling the smaller in essence) -
    But only in IE.

    What is causing this and how do I get around it?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Tom, I played around a bit and couldn't duplicate your problem, but I do know
    that relative sizes (e.g. "smaller" vs. "small") are always relative to the
    parent element, not to some absolute, so I think a smaller <a> within a
    smaller <td> is going to be "twice" as small (although I couldn't get this to
    happen in IE6, which doesn't say much for the theory). Do you have the same
    problem if you go with absolute sizes (e.g. 12px, small, etc.)?

    Bill

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=, Nov 10, 2004

  3. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "Bill Borg" <> wrote in message
    > Tom, I played around a bit and couldn't duplicate your problem, but I do
    > know
    > that relative sizes (e.g. "smaller" vs. "small") are always relative to
    > the
    > parent element, not to some absolute, so I think a smaller <a> within a
    > smaller <td> is going to be "twice" as small (although I couldn't get this
    > happen in IE6, which doesn't say much for the theory). Do you have the
    > same
    > problem if you go with absolute sizes (e.g. 12px, small, etc.)?

    I'll have to play with it some more and get a small example to see if I can
    recreate it and post it. I don't know about fixed sizes.

    I know I am using IE6 and that is where it is happening

    But I know I have other links on my screen (and they are all in TD's in some
    form or another) that don't change and match Mozilla's size. Only inside of
    my DataGrid are they a problem and only on IE.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Nov 11, 2004
  4. To style elements within a data grid, you can specifically add rules
    using the following kind of syntax.

    Marc Jennings, Nov 11, 2004
  5. tshad

    tshad Guest

    Ok. Here is the scenario. I found out what has been happening, but not
    why.

    Apparently, if you have a Datagrid with no "Font-size=smaller", IE and
    Mozilla act the same (whether or not you have a style a {smaller}.

    If you now add "Font-size=smaller", IE will get smaller but Mozilla will
    ignore it. Mozilla doesn't ignore the other font styles, such as
    "Font-name" - only "Font-Size".

    Then if you have a style a {smaller} and "font-size=smaller" it is additive.
    It will take the smaller from the "style a" and than will make it even
    smaller from the "font-size" in the DataGrid.

    This does not happen in Mozilla since it ignores the "font-size in the
    DataGrid"

    Which is correct?

    Here are 3 files that show the behavior

    1st: no font-smaller or style a{smaller}
    <%@ Page Language="VB" Debug="true" ContentType="text/html"
    ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" %>
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" >
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Collections" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>
    <script runat="server">
    Function CreateDataSource() As ICollection

    Dim dt As DataTable
    Dim dr As DataRow
    Dim i As Integer

    'create a DataTable
    dt = New DataTable()
    dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("StringValue", GetType(String)))
    dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("BoolValue", GetType(Boolean)))
    dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("CurrencyValue", GetType(Double)))

    'Make some rows and put some sample data in
    For i = 1 To 5
    dr = dt.NewRow()
    dr(0) = "Item " + i.ToString()
    If (i Mod 2 <> 0) Then
    dr(1) = True
    Else
    dr(1) = False
    End If
    dr(2) = 1.23 * (i + 1)
    'add the row to the datatable
    dt.Rows.Add(dr)
    Next

    'return a DataView to the DataTable
    CreateDataSource = New DataView(dt)

    End Function

    Sub Page_Load(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)

    if not IsPostBack then
    DataGrid4.DataSource = CreateDataSource()
    DataGrid4.DataBind()
    end if
    End Sub

    Private Sub DataGrid4_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs)

    trace.warn("in itemdatabound")
    Select Case e.Item.ItemType
    Case ListItemType.Item, ListItemType.AlternatingItem
    Dim editButton As LinkButton = New LinkButton()
    editButton = CType(e.Item.Cells(0).Controls(0), LinkButton)
    editButton.Attributes.Add("name", "#" & editButton.UniqueID)

    Case ListItemType.EditItem
    Dim UpdateButton As LinkButton = New LinkButton()
    UpdateButton = CType(e.Item.Cells(0).Controls(0),
    LinkButton)
    UpdateButton.Attributes.Add("name", "#" &
    UpdateButton.UniqueID)
    End Select
    End Sub

    Private Sub DataGrid1_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs)

    trace.warn("in itemdatabound")
    Select Case e.Item.ItemType
    Case ListItemType.Item, ListItemType.AlternatingItem
    Dim editButton As LinkButton = New LinkButton()
    editButton = CType(e.Item.Cells(0).Controls(0), LinkButton)
    editButton.Attributes.Add("name", "#" & editButton.UniqueID)

    Case ListItemType.EditItem
    Dim UpdateButton As LinkButton = New LinkButton()
    UpdateButton = CType(e.Item.Cells(0).Controls(0),
    LinkButton)
    UpdateButton.Attributes.Add("name", "#" &
    UpdateButton.UniqueID)
    End Select
    End Sub

    Private Sub DataGrid4_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs)
    trace.warn("in editCommand")
    DataGrid4.DataSource = CreateDataSource()
    DataGrid4.DataBind()
    End Sub

    Private Sub DataGrid4_CancelCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs)
    trace.warn("in cancelCommand")
    DataGrid4.EditItemIndex = -1
    DataGrid4.DataSource = CreateDataSource()
    DataGrid4.DataBind()
    End Sub

    Private Sub DataGrid4_UpdateCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs)
    DataGrid4.EditItemIndex = -1
    DataGrid4.DataSource = CreateDataSource()
    DataGrid4.DataBind()
    End Sub
    </script>
    <head>
    <title>View Positions</title>
    body {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }
    </head>
    <form method="post" name="form1" class="BodyText" runat="server">
    <asp:DataGrid id="DataGrid4" runat="server" BorderColor="#CC9966"
    BorderStyle="None" BorderWidth="1px" BackColor="White" CellPadding="4"
    onItemDataBound="DataGrid4_ItemDataBound"
    onEditCommand="DataGrid4_EditCommand"
    onUpdateCommand="DataGrid4_UpdateCommand"
    onCancelCommand="DataGrid4_CancelCommand">
    <HeaderStyle HorizontalAlign="center" BackColor="#c0edee"
    ForeColor="#2FABAD" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
    Font-Bold="true"/>
    <ItemStyle BackColor="#F2F2F2" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    sans-serif"/>
    <AlternatingItemStyle BackColor="#E5E5E5" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial,
    Helvetica, sans-serif" />
    <FooterStyle HorizontalAlign="center" BackColor="#E8EBFD"
    ForeColor="#3D3DB6" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
    Font-Bold="true"/>
    <PagerStyle BackColor="white" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    sans-serif" />
    <Columns>
    <asp:EditCommandColumn ButtonType="LinkButton"
    UpdateText="Update"
    CancelText="Cancel"
    EditText="Edit">
    </asp:EditCommandColumn>
    </Columns>

    <PagerStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" ForeColor="#330099"
    BackColor="#FFFFCC">
    </PagerStyle>
    </asp:DataGrid><br>
    </form>
    Both IE and Mozilla are identical

    2nd: adding the font-size=smaller to the DataGrid
[...]

    Font-Bold="true" Font-Size="Smaller"/>
    <ItemStyle BackColor="#F2F2F2" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    sans-serif" Font-Size="Smaller"/>
    <AlternatingItemStyle BackColor="#E5E5E5" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial,
    Helvetica, sans-serif" Font-Size="Smaller"/>
    <FooterStyle HorizontalAlign="center" BackColor="#E8EBFD"
    ForeColor="#3D3DB6" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
    Font-Bold="true" Font-Size="Smaller"/>
    <PagerStyle BackColor="white" Font-Name="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
    sans-serif" />
    <Columns>
    <asp:EditCommandColumn ButtonType="LinkButton"
    UpdateText="Update"
    CancelText="Cancel"
    EditText="Edit">
    </asp:EditCommandColumn>
    </Columns>

    <PagerStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" ForeColor="#330099"
    BackColor="#FFFFCC">
    </PagerStyle>
    </asp:DataGrid><br>
    </form>

    Both Mozilla and IE should look the same, but smaller.

    3rd: adding the style a {smaller}
[...]

    Here both IE and Mozilla get smaller (IE is smaller the Mozilla, because of
    the previous setting of the font-size in the DataGrid)

    Very confusing and time wasting.

    The solutions seems to be to NEVER use font-size in the DataGrid if you
    don't know what browser you are going to use. What I was finding that in IE
    I was not able to see the link at all, it was so small.

    BTW, Netscape works the same way as Mozilla.

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    tshad, Nov 11, 2004