    scrollbar-shadow-color: #000000;
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #000000;
    scrollbar-arrow-color: #FF9966;

    Domestos, Sep 16, 2005

  2. On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:31:01 +0200, Domestos <> wrote:

    > How do I get the following CSS to work in Mozilla? It works fine in IE6
    >

    > scrollbar-base-color: #000000;

    You wont. Mozilla is a decent browser and wont let webauthors mess with
    the chrome. Solution is simple. Don't try to do that. The browser is mine
    and I like it just fine.

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Domestos

    Domestos Guest

    > scrollbar-base-color: #000000;

    You wont. Mozilla is a decent browser and wont let webauthors mess with
    the chrome. Solution is simple. Don't try to do that. The browser is mine
    and I like it just fine.

    i'm not bothered about the main window bar but when I have an internal space
    and set the overflow I get an 'Orable scroll bar in it... is there anyway to
    turn the scroll bar off but still have the ability to overflow?

    goto www.evcomputing.com/usscharger to see what i mean...

    Domestos, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Domestos

    saz Guest

    In article <pQGWe.4531$>,
    says...
    > How do I get the following CSS to work in Mozilla? It works fine in IE6
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > scrollbar-base-color: #000000;
    > scrollbar-face-color: #000000;
    > scrollbar-track-color: #000000;
    > scrollbar-highlight-color: #000000;
    > scrollbar-3dlight-color: #000000;
    > scrollbar-shadow-color: #000000;
    > scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #000000;
    > scrollbar-arrow-color: #FF9966;

    Only IE supports scrollbar colors

    saz, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Domestos wrote:

    > How do I get the following CSS to work in Mozilla? It works fine in IE6

    > scrollbar-base-color: #000000;

    That isn't CSS ...

    http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/

    .... and isn't supported by Mozilla at all.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Domestos

    Domestos Guest

    > That isn't CSS ...
    >
    > http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/
    >
    > ... and isn't supported by Mozilla at all.

    So if mozilla don't support CSS2 why do people think it is so cool???

    Domestos, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Domestos wrote:
    >> That isn't CSS ...
    >>
    >> http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/
    >>
    >> ... and isn't supported by Mozilla at all.

    > So if mozilla don't support CSS2 why do people think it is so
    > cool???

    Mozilla does support CSS2 and is a very good browser, but your
    scrollbar stuff is proprietary Internet Explorer stuff. No other
    browser supports it, as it should be. You must have missed saz's post.

    You should not mess with the visitor's browser.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2005
  8. Domestos

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Domestos wrote:
    >>That isn't CSS ...
    >>
    >> http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/
    >>
    >>... and isn't supported by Mozilla at all.

    > So if mozilla don't support CSS2 why do people think it is so cool???

    Coloured scrollbars are an IE feature, and not part of CSS or HTML or
    any other standard. The important word being standard. If the scrollbars
    must be coloured to fit your design, then your design needs to be
    re-thought I'm afraid, or use a different technology such as Flash.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
    # explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
    # to duplicate this post.

    SpaceGirl, Sep 17, 2005
  9. Domestos wrote:

    >> That isn't CSS ...
    >> http://w3.org/TR/CSS2/
    >> ... and isn't supported by Mozilla at all.

    > So if mozilla don't support CSS2

    Mozilla does support CSS 2. Your code is not CSS, and your non-CSS code is
    not supported by Mozilla.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 17, 2005
  10. Domestos

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >your
    >scrollbar stuff is proprietary Internet Explorer stuff. No other
    >browser supports it

    Opera supports styling the scroll bars, but the user can disable it.

    >You should not mess with the visitor's browser.

    I have some sympathy for authors wishing to change the appearance of
    scroll bars inside the viewport. The usual mantra that users won't be
    able to recognize them as scroll bars has only limited merit.

    Of course, in-document scroll bars are typically a usability nightmare,
    but that's another discussion.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Sep 17, 2005
  11. Domestos

    Domestos Guest

    >> So if mozilla don't support CSS2

    > Mozilla does support CSS 2. Your code is not CSS, and your non-CSS code is
    > not supported by Mozilla.

    Thanks, I am glad you made that clear...

    However it still leaves me in a bind. How can I get that main block kitted
    out with a scrolling function that does not produce scroll-bars? Is
    Javascript the way to go? The site is mainly PHP is there anything in that
    language?

    Please help - I have spent too much time to go and re-design now :)

    Domestos

    Domestos, Sep 17, 2005
  12. Domestos

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Domestos wrote:
    >>>So if mozilla don't support CSS2

    >>Mozilla does support CSS 2. Your code is not CSS, and your non-CSS code is
    >>not supported by Mozilla.

    > Thanks, I am glad you made that clear...
    >
    > However it still leaves me in a bind. How can I get that main block kitted
    > out with a scrolling function that does not produce scroll-bars? Is
    > Javascript the way to go? The site is mainly PHP is there anything in that
    > language?
    >
    > Please help - I have spent too much time to go and re-design now :)
    >
    > Domestos

    Sorry I duplicated a few other replies too. Must learn to read all other
    replies before I post mine!!! Sorry.

    JS is one way to do it, but really not idea - what if the user has JS
    turned off, or is using a browser that doesn't support JS? (Like... a
    PSP, or mobile phone, or PDA). Sometimes thinking "out of the box" can
    give you some solutions that may avoid scrolling without destroying your
    design. Have you got an URL to post so we can take a look?

    xM

    SpaceGirl, Sep 17, 2005
  13. On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:48:03 +0200, Domestos <> wrote:

    >>> scrollbar-base-color: #000000;
    >>>

    >> You wont. Mozilla is a decent browser and wont let webauthors mess with
    >> the chrome. Solution is simple. Don't try to do that. The browser is
    >> mine
    >> and I like it just fine.

    > i'm not bothered about the main window bar but when I have an internal
    > space and set the overflow I get an 'Orable scroll bar in it...

    Maybe that is where the problem's at. The scroll bar being there in the
    first place :) Couldn't you work around that?
    Even if the scroll bar is inside the viewport, it is still part of the
    chrome of the browser and therefore not to be messed with by web authors
    BTW.

    > goto www.evcomputing.com/usscharger to see what i mean...

    That site's got bigger problems than the colour of the scroll bars. For
    one: I can't read your orange text on black background, because of the
    typeface. Secondly: you confuse screen reolution with size of viewport.
    That is a very common mistake and gets discussed a lot (here and in other
    groups) so you might want to google for some relevant threads
    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html?q=resolution>

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 17, 2005
  14. Domestos

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <n4HWe.5747$>, Domestos
    <> writes

    >i'm not bothered about the main window bar but when I have an internal space
    >and set the overflow I get an 'Orable scroll bar in it... is there anyway to
    >turn the scroll bar off but still have the ability to overflow?

    >goto www.evcomputing.com/usscharger to see what i mean...

    You could change 'overflow: scroll;' to 'overflow: auto; .Page_content
    so that the scroll bar is only visible when needed.

    Changing the size of text creates some nasty formatting in Firefox. I
    think I'd either go for a far more rigid design, perhaps using something
    such as Flash, or a fluid design that more easily adjusts to the
    viewer's preferences.
    --
    Martin Jay

    Martin Jay, Sep 17, 2005