CSS for Mozilla...

Domestos

How do I get the following CSS to work in Mozilla? It works fine in IE6

TIA

scrollbar-base-color: #000000;
scrollbar-face-color: #000000;
scrollbar-track-color: #000000;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #000000;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #000000;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #000000;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #000000;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #FF9966;

Barbara de Zoete

How do I get the following CSS to work in Mozilla? It works fine in IE6
scrollbar-base-color: #000000;

You wont. Mozilla is a decent browser and wont let webauthors mess with
the chrome. Solution is simple. Don't try to do that. The browser is mine
and I like it just fine.

Domestos

scrollbar-base-color: #000000;

You wont. Mozilla is a decent browser and wont let webauthors mess with
the chrome. Solution is simple. Don't try to do that. The browser is mine
and I like it just fine.

i'm not bothered about the main window bar but when I have an internal space
and set the overflow I get an 'Orable scroll bar in it... is there anyway to
turn the scroll bar off but still have the ability to overflow?

goto www.evcomputing.com/usscharger to see what i mean...

saz

How do I get the following CSS to work in Mozilla? It works fine in IE6

TIA

scrollbar-base-color: #000000;
scrollbar-face-color: #000000;
scrollbar-track-color: #000000;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #000000;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #000000;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #000000;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #000000;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #FF9966;
Only IE supports scrollbar colors

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Domestos said:
So if mozilla don't support CSS2 why do people think it is so
cool???

Mozilla does support CSS2 and is a very good browser, but your
scrollbar stuff is proprietary Internet Explorer stuff. No other
browser supports it, as it should be. You must have missed saz's post.

You should not mess with the visitor's browser.

SpaceGirl

Domestos said:
So if mozilla don't support CSS2 why do people think it is so cool???

Coloured scrollbars are an IE feature, and not part of CSS or HTML or
any other standard. The important word being standard. If the scrollbars
must be coloured to fit your design, then your design needs to be
re-thought I'm afraid, or use a different technology such as Flash.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Spartanicus

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
your
scrollbar stuff is proprietary Internet Explorer stuff. No other
browser supports it

Opera supports styling the scroll bars, but the user can disable it.
You should not mess with the visitor's browser.

I have some sympathy for authors wishing to change the appearance of
scroll bars inside the viewport. The usual mantra that users won't be
able to recognize them as scroll bars has only limited merit.

Of course, in-document scroll bars are typically a usability nightmare,
but that's another discussion.

Domestos

Mozilla does support CSS 2. Your code is not CSS, and your non-CSS code is
not supported by Mozilla.

Thanks, I am glad you made that clear...

However it still leaves me in a bind. How can I get that main block kitted
out with a scrolling function that does not produce scroll-bars? Is
Javascript the way to go? The site is mainly PHP is there anything in that
language?

Please help - I have spent too much time to go and re-design now :)

Domestos

SpaceGirl

Domestos said:
Thanks, I am glad you made that clear...

However it still leaves me in a bind. How can I get that main block kitted
out with a scrolling function that does not produce scroll-bars? Is
Javascript the way to go? The site is mainly PHP is there anything in that
language?

Please help - I have spent too much time to go and re-design now :)

Domestos

Sorry I duplicated a few other replies too. Must learn to read all other
replies before I post mine!!! Sorry.

JS is one way to do it, but really not idea - what if the user has JS
turned off, or is using a browser that doesn't support JS? (Like... a
PSP, or mobile phone, or PDA). Sometimes thinking "out of the box" can
give you some solutions that may avoid scrolling without destroying your
design. Have you got an URL to post so we can take a look?

xM

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Barbara de Zoete

i'm not bothered about the main window bar but when I have an internal
space and set the overflow I get an 'Orable scroll bar in it...

Maybe that is where the problem's at. The scroll bar being there in the
first place :) Couldn't you work around that?
Even if the scroll bar is inside the viewport, it is still part of the
chrome of the browser and therefore not to be messed with by web authors
BTW.

That site's got bigger problems than the colour of the scroll bars. For
one: I can't read your orange text on black background, because of the
typeface. Secondly: you confuse screen reolution with size of viewport.
That is a very common mistake and gets discussed a lot (here and in other
groups) so you might want to google for some relevant threads
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html?q=resolution>

Martin Jay

Domestos said:
i'm not bothered about the main window bar but when I have an internal space
and set the overflow I get an 'Orable scroll bar in it... is there anyway to
turn the scroll bar off but still have the ability to overflow?

You could change 'overflow: scroll;' to 'overflow: auto; .Page_content
so that the scroll bar is only visible when needed.

Changing the size of text creates some nasty formatting in Firefox. I
think I'd either go for a far more rigid design, perhaps using something
such as Flash, or a fluid design that more easily adjusts to the
viewer's preferences.