Css? hmmmm

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jom, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. Jom

    Jom Guest

    Hello.

    Sorry for perhaps sending this to the wrong news group.

    I am relatively new to HTML so I guess this question is a FAQ... I'm sorry
    about that too. But searching Dejanews didn't do any good so...

    What I have is a very basic website but on all of the pages in it I want the
    same header with 2 pictures (one with link) and 2 textlinks to appear. In
    my head I picture this header as a table or Div.

    I know that CSS can help me with font and table structures, but can I use it
    to create a table or Div as described abowe? Can a CSS file contain a
    string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
    do as well? I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page in
    my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
    ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...

    I am not asking for a complete answer for my question, but a pointer to some
    tutorial or good web sides would be helpful... All I have is Webmonkey.com,
    a good site but a bit limited.

    Thank you for helping me out here, I would really appreciate it.
    c",)

    Jon Oskar

    Jom, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Jom wrote:

    > What I have is a very basic website but on all of the pages in it I want
    > the same header with 2 pictures (one with link) and 2 textlinks to appear.
    > In my head I picture this header as a table or Div.
    >
    > I know that CSS can help me with font and table structures

    No it can't. It can help you with presentation. _Structure_ is the job of
    the markup language.

    > , but can I use it
    > to create a table or Div as described abowe? Can a CSS file contain a
    > string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
    > do as well?

    No, CSS can include some short strings (unsupported by MSIE), but it can't
    do that level of content.

    > I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page
    > in
    > my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
    > ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Jom

    dmsc17454_2 Guest

    Use an "include". http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_includes.asp

    > CSS file contain a
    > string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
    > do as well? I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page

    in
    > my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
    > ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...

    What do you mean "text"? Includes could include text into your site.

    You can change the font colours/tables etc throughout your site using a CSS
    stylesheet - http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

    dmsc17454_2, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Jom wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Sorry for perhaps sending this to the wrong news group.
    >
    > I am relatively new to HTML so I guess this question is a FAQ... I'm sorry
    > about that too. But searching Dejanews didn't do any good so...
    >
    > What I have is a very basic website but on all of the pages in it I want the
    > same header with 2 pictures (one with link) and 2 textlinks to appear. In
    > my head I picture this header as a table or Div.
    >
    > I know that CSS can help me with font and table structures, but can I use it
    > to create a table or Div as described abowe? Can a CSS file contain a
    > string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
    > do as well? I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page in
    > my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
    > ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...
    >
    > I am not asking for a complete answer for my question, but a pointer to some
    > tutorial or good web sides would be helpful... All I have is Webmonkey.com,
    > a good site but a bit limited.
    >
    > Thank you for helping me out here, I would really appreciate it.
    > c",)
    >
    > Jon Oskar

    As the others have suggested, use an "Include". This can easily be done
    with PHP or ASP. don't be scared by that at all - you dont need to learn
    an enturely new language - you just need a web hoster that supports one
    of them.

    Any questions please feel free to reply back :)

    --

    Quiet, Pinky; I'm pondering.
    _ _
    /~\\ \ //~\
    | \\ \ // |
    [ || || ]
    ] Y || || Y [
    | \_|l,------.l|_/ |
    | >' `< |
    \ (/~`--____--'~\) /
    `-_>-__________-<_-'
    /(_#(__)#_)\
    \___/__\___/
    /__`--'__\
    /\(__,>-~~ __)
    /\//\\( `--~~ )
    '\/ <^\ /^>
    _\ >-__-< /_
    (___\ /___)

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Jom

    m Guest

    Jom wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > Sorry for perhaps sending this to the wrong news group.
    >
    > I am relatively new to HTML so I guess this question is a FAQ... I'm
    > sorry
    > about that too. But searching Dejanews didn't do any good so...
    >
    > What I have is a very basic website but on all of the pages in it I want
    > the
    > same header with 2 pictures (one with link) and 2 textlinks to appear. In
    > my head I picture this header as a table or Div.
    >
    > I know that CSS can help me with font and table structures, but can I use
    > it
    > to create a table or Div as described abowe? Can a CSS file contain a
    > string (or strings) of text so that when I change the CSS, all of my pages
    > do as well? I really dislike "hardcoding" this into each and every page
    > in
    > my site so I really hope that there are alternatives. I know that PHP or
    > ASP are, but I don't even know what the letters stand for...
    >
    > I am not asking for a complete answer for my question, but a pointer to
    > some
    > tutorial or good web sides would be helpful... All I have is
    > Webmonkey.com, a good site but a bit limited.
    >
    > Thank you for helping me out here, I would really appreciate it.
    > c",)
    >
    > Jon Oskar

    You can preprocess it using the download at
    http://www.mbstevens.com/preprocessor/index.html
    (The tiny mcat.pl program from that download will do what you need.
    You'll need Perl installed, too, of course.)

    m, Jun 12, 2004