    of the cells.

    So, I guess my question is, when would html be used and when will CSS be
    used.
    DrewC, Aug 6, 2007

  2. DrewC

    FFMG Guest

    Hi,

    I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
    The second col, (200px), displays a url.
    But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
    than 200px.

    Because I can have more than one table on the page the display appears
    broken.
    So I would rather the url be forcefully wrapped to the next line rather
    than breaking my display.

    Would that be possible?

    How can I do that?

    Thanks

    FFMG

    --

    'webmaster forum' (http://www.httppoint.com) | 'Free Blogs'
    (http://www.journalhome.com/) | 'webmaster Directory'
    FFMG, Aug 6, 2007

  3. DrewC

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-08-06, FFMG <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am displaying a report in a two columns table, (500px and 200px).
    > The second col, (200px), displays a url.
    > But sometimes the url is longer than 200px and the columns is wider
    > than 200px.
    >
    > Because I can have more than one table on the page the display appears
    > broken.
    > So I would rather the url be forcefully wrapped to the next line rather
    > than breaking my display.
    >
    > Would that be possible?
    >
    > How can I do that?

    The only way to do it is to put a zero-width space between each
    character (​). There is a proprietary IE property also suggested
    for CSS 3 that does this, but nothing in CSS 2.1
    Ben C, Aug 6, 2007
  4. Scripsit Ben C:

    >> So I would rather the url be forcefully wrapped to the next line
    >> rather than breaking my display.

    - -
    > The only way to do it is to put a zero-width space between each
    > character (​).

    The zero-width space character should not be expected to work consistently
    across browsing situations. In particular, it may well result in the display
    of a symbol for an unrepresentable character, if a browser does not
    recognize the special meaning of the character and does not even find a
    glyph for it in the available fonts.

    Note that there is no requirement in HTML specifications that the zero-width
    space be processed in any particular way, except that it be treated as a
    whitespace character. The rules of HTML do not require conformance to the
    Unicode Standard, or its line breaking rules in particular. It's more or
    less the general idea that the zero-width space should be treated as
    allowing a line break, but this is not a requirement.

    Using <wbr> is safer, despite being "nonstandard". It works in a great
    majority of browsing situations, and it causes no harm (it is simply
    ignored) when it does not work.

    Note that URLs should not be broken arbitrarily across line but only at some
    reasonable breaking points, like after a "/". So <wbr> should be inserted at
    selected positions only.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 6, 2007
  5. DrewC wrote:

    > I am getting into CSS and was wanting a little clarity on what each is
    > good for. I know CSS defines how content is displayed. But, for
    > example, could I define the entire layout of a page (including
    > table/cell deminsions) within it?

    Forget tables for layout. Use them for tabular data.
    Look at some of these templates:
    http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/page_layouts/
    http://benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/csstemplates/left-column.html

    > The CSS examples i've seen show how you can affect how content is
    > displayed within cells and whatnot, but the I couldn't see where the
    > actual deminsions of the cells.

    Forget "cells".

    > So, I guess my question is, when would html be used and when will CSS
    > be used.

    HTML is for content, CSS is for display (including the layout). See
    these pages as well:
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 6, 2007
  6. DrewC

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-08-06, Jukka K. Korpela <> wrote:
    > Scripsit Ben C:
    >
    >>> So I would rather the url be forcefully wrapped to the next line
    >>> rather than breaking my display.

    > - -
    >> The only way to do it is to put a zero-width space between each
    >> character (​).

    > The zero-width space character should not be expected to work consistently
    > across browsing situations. In particular, it may well result in the display
    > of a symbol for an unrepresentable character, if a browser does not
    > recognize the special meaning of the character and does not even find a
    > glyph for it in the available fonts.
    >
    > Note that there is no requirement in HTML specifications that the zero-width
    > space be processed in any particular way, except that it be treated as a
    > whitespace character. The rules of HTML do not require conformance to the
    > Unicode Standard, or its line breaking rules in particular. It's more or
    > less the general idea that the zero-width space should be treated as
    > allowing a line break, but this is not a requirement.
    >
    > Using <wbr> is safer, despite being "nonstandard". It works in a great
    > majority of browsing situations, and it causes no harm (it is simply
    > ignored) when it does not work.

    Ah, now I understand. I remember you suggesting <wbr> for this before,
    but didn't know why.
    Ben C, Aug 6, 2007
  7. FFMG wrote:

    > Hi,

    Hi. Dump the clunky web gateway to Usenet newsgroups, get a real news
    client, and subscribe to this newsgroup the right way.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 7, 2007
  8. DrewC

    FFMG Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela;85512 Wrote:
    > Scripsit Ben C:
    >
    > >> So I would rather the url be forcefully wrapped to the next line
    > >> rather than breaking my display.

    > - -
    > > The only way to do it is to put a zero-width space between each
    > > character (​).

    > The zero-width space character should not be expected to work
    > consistently
    > across browsing situations. In particular, it may well result in the
    > display
    > of a symbol for an unrepresentable character, if a browser does not
    > recognize the special meaning of the character and does not even find
    > glyph for it in the available fonts.
    >
    > Note that there is no requirement in HTML specifications that the
    > zero-width
    > space be processed in any particular way, except that it be treated as
    > whitespace character. The rules of HTML do not require conformance to
    > the
    > Unicode Standard, or its line breaking rules in particular. It's more
    > or
    > less the general idea that the zero-width space should be treated as
    > allowing a line break, but this is not a requirement.
    >
    > Using <wbr> is safer, despite being "nonstandard". It works in a great
    > majority of browsing situations, and it causes no harm (it is simply
    > ignored) when it does not work.
    >
    > Note that URLs should not be broken arbitrarily across line but only at
    > some
    > reasonable breaking points, like after a "/". So <wbr> should be
    > inserted at
    > selected positions only.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")