CSS - IE/Firefox problem - element height

Discussion in 'HTML' started by matt@mailinator.com, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    hello,

    i am experiencing a little problem w/ regards to IE & Firefox
    compatibility (works as expected in firefox, doesnt in IE).

    i have a container-div element, which contains 1 image, and 2 nested
    div elements. the problem is, in IE the height of the container-div is
    extended -- it makes itself as high as *all* elements w/i in, rather
    than the fixed-height i have assigned in px.

    easier to show. here is a dummied-down demo of the problem:

    http://www.semi-suave.com/temp/temp.html
    http://www.semi-suave.com/temp/css/profile.css

    and here is an image of what IE is doing to my height:

    http://www.semi-suave.com/temp/the_problem.jpg

    .....can anyone help me figure this out? i want the container-div (the
    baby-blue box) to be only "130px", as its defined in mh "profile.css"
    file. how do i stop it from auto-sizing itself to the height of all its
    nested content!??

    thanks!
    matt
    , Jan 16, 2006

  2. kaibo Guest

    change the css for your pictures as follows

    #Profile img {
    display:inline;
    }

    You won't need the positioning any more.

    Same for #Basics & #Ratings...if you still need them.

    kaibo, Jan 17, 2006

  3. David Graham Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > i am experiencing a little problem w/ regards to IE & Firefox
    > compatibility (works as expected in firefox, doesnt in IE).
    >
    > i have a container-div element, which contains 1 image, and 2 nested
    > div elements. the problem is, in IE the height of the container-div is
    > extended -- it makes itself as high as *all* elements w/i in, rather
    > than the fixed-height i have assigned in px.
    >
    > easier to show. here is a dummied-down demo of the problem:
    >
    > http://www.semi-suave.com/temp/temp.html
    > http://www.semi-suave.com/temp/css/profile.css
    >

    > and here is an image of what IE is doing to my height:
    >
    > http://www.semi-suave.com/temp/the_problem.jpg
    >

    > ....can anyone help me figure this out? i want the container-div (the
    > baby-blue box) to be only "130px", as its defined in mh "profile.css"
    > file. how do i stop it from auto-sizing itself to the height of all its
    > nested content!??
    >

    > thanks!
    > matt

    I came up against this and was told IE has a broken overflow behaviour - a
    div in IE extends itself to encompass the contents of the div, it shouldn't
    do this!
    David
    David Graham, Jan 17, 2006

    > change the css for your pictures as follows
    > You won't need the positioning any more.

    ah...excellent! thank you. also, setting the parent element's
    "overflow:hidden;" helps tighten things up as well.

    one step closer to eliminating tables.

    the more you know.

    thanks,
    matt