CSS - IE problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by l e o, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. l e o

    l e o Guest

    l e o, Jul 19, 2006

  2. l e o

    Jim Moe Guest

    l e o wrote:

    > http://www.standrewsstamford.org/sermon.html
    >
    > The above page looks good in Firefox 1.5 but there is a big gap below
    > the title "Sermon Archives."

    While you have spec'd padding fairly thoroughly, there are almost no
    margin values set besides "auto". This leaves the margin values to the
    imagination of the browser. Start by setting margin:0 for the <Hx>
    elements, and adjust from there.

    - You should be specifying your fonts as %, not pt. Points are for the
    printed page. For margins and padding, use ems.
    - Using 8 nested div's to create a border is ridiculous.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Jul 19, 2006

  3. l e o wrote:

    > I am designing a website,
    >
    > http://www.standrewsstamford.org/
    >
    > http://www.standrewsstamford.org/sermon.html
    >
    > The above page looks good in Firefox 1.5 but there is a big gap below
    > the title "Sermon Archives."

    I do not see a gap in Firefox (or Opera), only IE, which is a broken
    browser.

    > Likewise, in IE6, there are more gap than I would want in each page,
    > between the main- and sub-menu.

    The padding between the two blocks is the problem. IE incorrectly puts
    it on the outside, so it is shoving the right column downwards. You can
    fix it by changing this:
    #rightcontent {
    margin-left: 224px;
    to a larger amount.

    But better yet, drop all this exact pixel sizing and use em units, so
    that when visitors increase the text size, your whole design doesn't
    fall apart.

    See this page - about using px or pt for font-sizing, and about Verdana.
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 19, 2006
  4. l e o

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <oelvg.419766$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > l e o wrote:
    >
    > > I am designing a website,
    > >
    > > http://www.standrewsstamford.org/
    > >
    > > http://www.standrewsstamford.org/sermon.html
    > >
    > > The above page looks good in Firefox 1.5 but there is a big gap below
    > > the title "Sermon Archives."

    Looks fine in Safari too. I was puzzled about the need for the
    float in one of your inline nav lists... I have done similar
    without it at one stage or other?

    That table of contents bg is too blindingly blue!

    I am a little interested in the method of the tab-like nav strip
    and I have always struggled myself to make it look good no matter
    if the font-sizes are user-made big... eg. there is a little
    issue of the "covering" border of the "current" tab not always
    covering the main bottom line of the nav bar (the "gap" being a
    nice touch to show the current tab is open...). If anyone has any
    further thoughts on these constructions, I for one, will be all
    er... antenae. Perhaps Beauregard's point about em or % based
    dims can help here?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 19, 2006
  5. dorayme wrote:

    > Perhaps Beauregard's point about em or % based dims can help here?

    Most likely. When defined with em, the containers will expand along with
    the text, thus "keeping everything in order."

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 19, 2006
  6. l e o

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <t7pvg.421103$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps Beauregard's point about em or % based dims can help here?

    > Most likely. When defined with em, the containers will expand along with
    > the text, thus "keeping everything in order."

    You are right but it can still be tricky with the tab-like horiz
    nav lists to get the borders to behave under a goodly but not
    ridiculous range of font sizes. But your reminder was useful to
    me... was just in the middle of that sort of thing and it works
    to my satisfaction for now...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 20, 2006