css iframe question

the idiot

i know iframes are supposed to be bad but i like em. anyway, how would i
write the properties for one ie width height frameborder etc in a css?
thanks

Matthias Gutfeldt

the said:
i know iframes are supposed to be bad but i like em. anyway, how would i
write the properties for one ie width height frameborder etc in a css?

The unit "ie width height" doesn't exist in CSS - what exactly are you
trying to do?

Matthias

rf

the idiot said:
i know iframes are supposed to be bad but i like em. anyway, how would i
write the properties for one ie width height frameborder etc in a css?
thanks

CSS does not target frames. It only targets things that live within an HTML
"page".

Besides, you should not be using frames, they are obsolete.

Cheers
Richard.

the idiot

Matthias Gutfeldt said:
The unit "ie width height" doesn't exist in CSS - what exactly are you
trying to do?
i just want to be able to (sorry about my terms here but im not very good
with the jargon) specify the name and size of an iframe and whether or not
it has a frameborder etc in an external css so that on my html page i can
just put <iframe></iframe>. or is that just plain daft? you can tell me if
ive gone mad.

the idiot

rf said:
CSS does not target frames. It only targets things that live within an HTML
"page".

Besides, you should not be using frames, they are obsolete.
i know but call me old fashioned. i just wanted to know if it is possible
really. if i didnt ask it would have gnawed at me. my ignorance is well
known and well founded. cheers.

Matthias Gutfeldt

the said:
i just want to be able to (sorry about my terms here but im not very good
with the jargon) specify the name and size of an iframe and whether or not
it has a frameborder etc in an external css so that on my html page i can
just put <iframe></iframe>. or is that just plain daft? you can tell me if
ive gone mad.

IFRAME is defined in the spec, and it seems to have a frameborder
attribute, so you could specify that in the HTML itself:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#edef-IFRAME>

But if you want to additionally try to manipulate the frameborder with
CSS, you could use the usual CSS properties, in this case e.g. 'border':
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/box.html#border-properties>, and of course
the appropriate type selector, in this case iframe.

Example: Put this in your external CSS file (results may vary depending
on browser support and user settings):

iframe {border:eek:utset 40px lime;}

Matthias

rf

Belay that, it is totally incorrect. I was thinking about something entirely
different at the time :)

Belay that too. I missed the i and read frames, not iframes. You can use an
iframe if you really really can find no other alternative and providing you
do not use navigation on that iframe, thus breaking the bookmark. You should
not use framesets and frames under any circumstances.
i know but call me old fashioned. i just wanted to know if it is possible
really. if i didnt ask it would have gnawed at me. my ignorance is well
known and well founded. cheers.

Why not take a few hours^H^H^H^H days out and read the specifications? They
are a mine of information, if you can find the adit that is :)

Cheers
Richard.

the idiot

rf said:
would

Belay that, it is totally incorrect. I was thinking about something entirely
different at the time :)

Belay that too. I missed the i and read frames, not iframes. You can use an
iframe if you really really can find no other alternative and providing you
do not use navigation on that iframe, thus breaking the bookmark. You should
not use framesets and frames under any circumstances.

Why not take a few hours^H^H^H^H days out and read the specifications? They
are a mine of information, if you can find the adit that is :)
but sir reading the instructions is a sign of defeat.