    --
    - Steve
    "I think a good friend would recommend CLR to all his friends."

    Steve Greenaway, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Steve Greenaway <> said:

    > http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/cds
    >
    > The page has thumbnails with captions underneath. If I specify
    > underlines for the links, I also get an underline under the
    > thumbnail.

    None of the images or their captions on that page have underlines.

    > Additionally, I'm at a loss as to why the thumbnail border stays
    > white instead of assuming the link colors. Help!

    You've set the border on all images to white. What else would you expect
    it to do?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:
    >Previously in alt.html, Steve Greenaway <> said:

    >> http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/cds
    >>
    >> The page has thumbnails with captions underneath. If I specify
    >> underlines for the links, I also get an underline under the
    >> thumbnail.

    >None of the images or their captions on that page have underlines.

    D'oh! I've been playing with it. I'm putting it back now.

    >> Additionally, I'm at a loss as to why the thumbnail border stays
    >> white instead of assuming the link colors. Help!

    >You've set the border on all images to white. What else would you expect
    >it to do?

    I was under the (seemingly wrong) impression that the link colors
    would override that. Dunno where I got that idea, come to think
    of it.

    Steve Greenaway, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Steve Greenaway <> said:
    > Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:
    >>Previously in alt.html, Steve Greenaway <> said:

    >>> http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/cds
    >>>
    >>> The page has thumbnails with captions underneath. If I specify
    >>> underlines for the links, I also get an underline under the
    >>> thumbnail.

    >>None of the images or their captions on that page have underlines.

    > D'oh! I've been playing with it. I'm putting it back now.

    Ah, I see what you mean now. Try removing the space between the image
    and the line break. BTW: I don't see any need for the paragraph there.
    Nor the nested tables (or layout tables at all), but we won't go there.
    ;-)

    >>> Additionally, I'm at a loss as to why the thumbnail border stays
    >>> white instead of assuming the link colors. Help!

    >>You've set the border on all images to white. What else would you expect
    >>it to do?

    > I was under the (seemingly wrong) impression that the link colors
    > would override that. Dunno where I got that idea, come to think
    > of it.

    You would have to set them explicity, e.g.

    a:link img {border: xxxxx}
    a:hover img {border: xxxxx}

    etc.

    Mark Parnell, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:
    >Previously in alt.html, Steve Greenaway <> said:
    >>
    >> D'oh! I've been playing with it. I'm putting it back now.

    >Ah, I see what you mean now. Try removing the space between the image
    >and the line break. BTW: I don't see any need for the paragraph there.
    >Nor the nested tables (or layout tables at all), but we won't go there.
    >;-)

    Paragraph: anal compulsiveness
    Tables: Aye. Old design, I'm slowly working to ditch the tables.

    >> I was under the (seemingly wrong) impression that the link colors
    >> would override that. Dunno where I got that idea, come to think
    >> of it.

    >You would have to set them explicity, e.g.

    >a:link img {border: xxxxx}
    >a:hover img {border: xxxxx}

    Thanks.

    Steve Greenaway, Feb 8, 2005
  6. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Feb 8, 2005
  7. Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:

    >This may help (if you haven't already seen it):
    >http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    I have seen it actually. It's very helpful. I've been playing with
    some two and three column layouts for other sites, but for this one, I'm
    trying to figure out how to position those color bars where I want them.
    I'm guessing they need to be absolutely positioned, and the z-index pushed
    up to overlap the background stuff.

    Steve Greenaway, Feb 8, 2005