css image link border and underline

Steve Greenaway

http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/cds

The page has thumbnails with captions underneath. If I specify
underlines for the links, I also get an underline under the
thumbnail. This is not nice. I was trying to get rid it using
..thumb p a img {text-decoration: none;} but that ain't working.

Additionally, I'm at a loss as to why the thumbnail border stays
white instead of assuming the link colors. Help!

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/cds

The page has thumbnails with captions underneath. If I specify
underlines for the links, I also get an underline under the
thumbnail.

None of the images or their captions on that page have underlines.
Additionally, I'm at a loss as to why the thumbnail border stays
white instead of assuming the link colors. Help!

You've set the border on all images to white. What else would you expect
it to do?

Steve Greenaway

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:
Previously in alt.html, Steve Greenaway <[email protected]> said:
None of the images or their captions on that page have underlines.

D'oh! I've been playing with it. I'm putting it back now.
You've set the border on all images to white. What else would you expect
it to do?

I was under the (seemingly wrong) impression that the link colors
would override that. Dunno where I got that idea, come to think
of it.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:

D'oh! I've been playing with it. I'm putting it back now.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Try removing the space between the image
and the line break. BTW: I don't see any need for the paragraph there.
Nor the nested tables (or layout tables at all), but we won't go there.
;-)
I was under the (seemingly wrong) impression that the link colors
would override that. Dunno where I got that idea, come to think
of it.

You would have to set them explicity, e.g.

a:link img {border: xxxxx}
a:hover img {border: xxxxx}

etc.

Steve Greenaway

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:
Ah, I see what you mean now. Try removing the space between the image
and the line break. BTW: I don't see any need for the paragraph there.
Nor the nested tables (or layout tables at all), but we won't go there.
;-)

Paragraph: anal compulsiveness
Tables: Aye. Old design, I'm slowly working to ditch the tables.
You would have to set them explicity, e.g.
a:link img {border: xxxxx}
a:hover img {border: xxxxx}

Thanks.

Steve Greenaway

Kermit the Frog stuck a mic in Mark's face, who said:
This may help (if you haven't already seen it):
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

I have seen it actually. It's very helpful. I've been playing with
some two and three column layouts for other sites, but for this one, I'm
trying to figure out how to position those color bars where I want them.
I'm guessing they need to be absolutely positioned, and the z-index pushed
up to overlap the background stuff.