CSS in eBay adverts

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ken in Melbourne Australia, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. I've just starting selling with eBay and having some
    problems with the restrictions of only writing the html
    within eBays page body section.
    The advert I wanted should have looked like
    http://JYPES.COM or http://brand1ng.com (both the same
    html except for the different CSS and the sexy pictures in
    JYPES.COM)
    I had thought that it was illegal in html to have a
    all my styles as style attributes within the other html
    tags. The result can be seen at http://jypes.com/new/ebay.htm

    There are a lot of problems with not being able to use a

    I have since found out that regardless of whether is is
    legal to have <style> tags in the body, it actually works in
    some if not most browsers and many ebay adverts use it.

    Question 1) Can anybody tell me, the negatives of using
    refuses to look at them. Do they upset the search engine
    spiders? etc.

    Question 2)
    Is there any links or websites relating to the specific
    problems encountered in writing html for ebay?

    Question 3)
    Early experiments with <style> section within ebay body
    section has shown the following results with the following code:

    <STYLE type=text/css>
    html body div#csstest p#ptest {
    color: #1F1 !important:
    font:900 36px Kids, "Scruff LET", fantasy !important;
    }
    div#csstest a#atest1 {
    color:#F55 !important;
    }
    </STYLE>
    <P id="ptest">This is some text in a paragraph.</p>
    <A id="atest1" href="http://jypes.com/">First test Link</A>

    Results:
    I.E.6 Obeys all 3 CSS style commands
    Netscape 7.1 Obeys Color for Paragraph and Color for the
    links but disobeys the Paragraph Font command.
    Mozilla disobeys both the Color and Font for Paragraph
    but obeys the Color for the Link.
    Opera 7.5 disobeys all 3 CSS style commands.

    Is there any way that I can get better consistency than this
    on the basics of color and font?

    Question 4)
    eBay places the users html within a div frame which is
    within a table cell within a table which is within 2 more
    layers of tables. Should I try to close all of these before
    my html and then start them up again when I finish? I tried
    both ways on the above code and didn't get any difference.

    Question 5)
    Is there any advantage in trying to enclose the <style>
    block in a second <head> block or is this even worse than
    just having a <style> block in the <body> section?

    If you can't answer all 5 please just answer what you can.

    Many thanks

    Ken

    Ken in Melbourne Australia, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Ken in Melbourne Australia

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:45:20 +1000, Ken in Melbourne Australia
    <> wrote:

    > I had thought that it was illegal in html to have a

    It's illegal, it works. For approximate values of "works". Scoping can
    be a bit odd.

    > tag pair block

    or "element" as we like to call it.

    To be compliant, flatten out your CSS and do most of it in-lined through
    style attributes on the relevant elements. However you can't use
    pseudo-selectors (like :hover) by this route, so you might still want to
    use an embedded stylesheet.

    For eBay, just do it and stop worrying about it. Their pages are already
    pretty non-compliant, a little more won't hurt.

    In fact for eBay, you don't need it. I've seen plenty of animated
    cartoons, cursor trails, nasty backgrounds and even sounds. None of them
    made me want to buy anything.

    This might amuse you (read the source)
    http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/msnfeed.asp

    The problem it solves was to offer a "feed" as a literal HTML fragment,
    ready for self-contained direct inclusion in another page.

    Andy Dingley, Jul 22, 2005

  3. Ken in Melbourne Australia

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Ken in Melbourne Australia <>
    >
    > I've just starting selling with eBay and having some
    > problems with the restrictions of only writing the html
    > within eBays page body section.
    > The advert I wanted should have looked like
    > http://JYPES.COM or http://brand1ng.com (both the same
    > html except for the different CSS and the sexy pictures in
    > JYPES.COM)
    > I had thought that it was illegal in html to have a
    > all my styles as style attributes within the other html
    > tags. The result can be seen at http://jypes.com/new/ebay.htm
    >
    > etc

    I do know that a long running ad has appeared in eBay with css info, and
    been submitted via the "html text area" in the form of a head, title, body
    and so on and just worked fine. In other words, there is a head, there is
    style in that submitted head and there is a body and it all goes thru the
    ebay sausage machine and looks fine. You can see
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6969299680&ssPageName=
    ADME:L:DS:AU:8 for an example. Sure, it is not the finest thing in html or
    css on the planet but it works fine as far as I can see... Sorry, I have not
    looked into all the questions you asked. I guess I am saying, don't worry
    too much about eBay.

    BTW, ... <grin> ... special discounts to anyone on this list as there never
    was a better and more lovable set of bastards... (this is an Australian term
    of endearment)

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 23, 2005