CSS: Is text-transform: capitalize; NG on IE 5.x?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Curtis, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Curtis

    Curtis Guest

    Is text-transform: capitalize on IE 5.x?

    This:

    #sidebar-left li
    {
    text-transform: capitalize;
    }

    works fine on Opera and Firefox, but not on IE5.x. Have not
    tried it on 6+ yet. Can't find on a browser feature matrix
    or get an answer from Google search.

    --

    Curtis

    Visit We the Thinking
    www.wethethinking.com
    An online magazine/forum
    devoted to philosophical
    thought.

    Curtis, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Curtis

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Curtis
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Is text-transform: capitalize on IE 5.x?

    It's supported by IE 4, so presumably.

    > works fine on Opera and Firefox, but not on IE5.x.

    URL?

    > Can't find on a browser feature matrix
    > or get an answer from Google search.

    http://www.jalfrezi.com/stylebml.htm covers NS4, IE3, IE4 on both
    Windows and Mac.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Curtis

    Curtis Guest

    Mark Parnell <> wrote in
    message
    et.au...
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Curtis
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > Is text-transform: capitalize on IE 5.x?

    > It's supported by IE 4, so presumably.
    >
    > > works fine on Opera and Firefox, but not on IE5.x.

    Hmmm. Strange.

    It would be handy, as stock Drupal comes with all the menus
    lower-cased, and the only alternative to CSS would be
    manually going through the translation files to capitalize
    the amateurish-looking status quo.

    > URL?

    The site is under development and directory-passworded so
    not yet publically accessable, Mark. If your email address
    is good, I can send you a password.

    > > Can't find on a browser feature matrix
    > > or get an answer from Google search.

    > http://www.jalfrezi.com/stylebml.htm covers NS4, IE3, IE4

    on both
    > Windows and Mac.

    Thanks, I'll have a look.

    --

    Curtis

    Visit We the Thinking
    www.wethethinking.com
    An online magazine/forum
    devoted to philosophical
    thought.

    Curtis, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Curtis

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Curtis
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > The site is under development and directory-passworded so
    > not yet publically accessable, Mark.

    Can you put up a demo page?

    > If your email address is good, I can send you a password.

    It is and you're welcome to do so, though it would be better if you are
    able to make something available to everyone, as others may pick
    something up that I miss.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Curtis

    Curtis Guest

    Re: Is text-transform: capitalize; NG on IE 5.x?

    Curtis <> wrote in message
    > Is text-transform: capitalize on IE 5.x?
    >
    > This:
    >
    > #sidebar-left li
    > {
    > text-transform: capitalize;
    > }
    >
    > works fine on Opera and Firefox, but not on IE5.x. Have

    not
    > tried it on 6+ yet.

    I'm still unable to get text-transform to capitalize for
    IE5.x.

    Website splash page is now visible at www.marxup.com.

    Note the sidebar navigation menu, items Content and
    Forums--these are not capitalizing in 5.0 or 5.5 IE on two
    different systems. Works OK on Opera and Firefox.

    CSS is:

    ..sidebar-left a:link
    {
    color: #fff;
    text-decoration: none;
    text-transform: capitalize;
    }

    The code is getting to the links, because I can set the
    color. Is there another setting that might be overriding
    this? (I'm not using text-transform anywhere else.)

    --

    Curtis

    Visit We the Thinking
    www.wethethinking.com
    An online magazine/forum
    devoted to philosophical
    thought.

    Curtis, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Curtis

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: Is text-transform: capitalize; NG on IE 5.x?

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Curtis
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Note the sidebar navigation menu, items Content and
    > Forums--these are not capitalizing in 5.0 or 5.5 IE on two
    > different systems. Works OK on Opera and Firefox.

    It's capitalised in IE5.01 and 5.5 here (Win2k).

    Mark Parnell, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Curtis

    Curtis Guest

    Re: Is text-transform: capitalize; NG on IE 5.x?

    Mark Parnell <> wrote in
    message
    et.au...
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Curtis
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > Note the sidebar navigation menu, items Content and
    > > Forums--these are not capitalizing in 5.0 or 5.5 IE on

    two
    > > different systems. Works OK on Opera and Firefox.

    > It's capitalised in IE5.01 and 5.5 here (Win2k).

    Thanks for checking, Mark. I'm more clueless than ever, now.

    I'm using Win98, so maybe I've got a couple of dated DLLs.
    The 5.0 is pretty dicey in the Javascript department, so
    that wouldn't surprise me.

    --

    Curtis

    Visit We the Thinking
    www.wethethinking.com
    An online magazine/forum
    devoted to philosophical
    thought.

    Curtis, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Curtis

    Curtis Guest

    Re: Is text-transform: capitalize; NG on IE 5.x?

    Mark Parnell <> wrote in
    message
    et.au...
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Curtis
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > Note the sidebar navigation menu, items Content and
    > > Forums--these are not capitalizing in 5.0 or 5.5 IE on

    two
    > > different systems. Works OK on Opera and Firefox.

    > It's capitalised in IE5.01 and 5.5 here (Win2k).

    I changed the selector syntax to

    ..sidebar-left a:link, .sidebar-left a:visited
    {
    font-size: 12px;
    text-transform: capitalize;
    }

    and now it seems to be working in 5.0 and 5.5 on my end.
    Can't explain why it didn't work for IE before HERE but they
    did for you. Computers... bah.

    --

    Curtis

    Visit We the Thinking