    Rob
    :)

    , Aug 8, 2003

  2. Jim Ley Guest

    On 7 Aug 2003 23:06:04 -0700,
    () wrote:

    >http://phd.netcomp.monash.edu.au/RobertMarkBram/menu/
    >
    >This example is free for anyone to use, comment or criticise - just
    >leave my name in it somewhere if you use it in your site!

    Any script which hides key navigation content in javascript (which is
    not always enabled obviously) is generally a bad idea, a more sensible
    approach is to transform an unordered list or something similar that
    has considerable meaning and doesn't break the accessibility of your
    script when JS was disabled. Perhaps even more importantly it doesn't
    hide your links from Google.

    Jim.

    Jim Ley, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Hi Jim!

    > Any script which hides key navigation content in javascript (which is
    > not always enabled obviously) is generally a bad idea, a more sensible
    > approach is to transform an unordered list or something similar that

    An unordered list kept where?

    JavaScript cannot open an external file and once I put the list into the
    html file I am stuck with having to duplicate that list on every page that
    requires a menu - precisely the maintenance task I want to avoid with a
    script like this.

    I was thinking that frames could be used - the navigation frame document
    could be the place to store the list in html, but CSS positioned elements
    cannot display accross frame borders, so that won't work either.

    > has considerable meaning and doesn't break the accessibility of your
    > script when JS was disabled.

    Well, if JavsScript is disabled the whole script is broken... visitors must
    have JavaScript turned on to access the example: to be honest I do not think
    this is an unrealistic expectation.

    > Perhaps even more importantly it doesn't
    > hide your links from Google.

    Yes, this is a very good point

    Thank you for your feedback!

    Rob
    :)

    Robert Mark Bram, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >Any script which hides key navigation content in javascript (which is
    >not always enabled obviously) is generally a bad idea

    Very true, but there's an easy way around this. Just make those buttons
    clickable. It'll take users to a page with those same menu options (and
    possibly further explaination as to what's there).

    Talc Ta Matt, Aug 9, 2003
  5. Jim Ley Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:58:02 +1000, "Robert Mark Bram"
    <> wrote:

    >> Any script which hides key navigation content in javascript (which is
    >> not always enabled obviously) is generally a bad idea, a more sensible
    >> approach is to transform an unordered list or something similar that

    >An unordered list kept where?

    Within the document, the problem with author once, see in multiple
    URI's is a seperate one, you shouldn't combine them, since javascript
    for content is simply too unreliable, so while javascript includes
    might've been a solution the %age of clients where it won't work
    (including key clients like google of course) makes it inefficient.

    There's 2 obviousapproaches, the SSI/server generated one, where you
    have each page served by a script on the website, including the
    content, SSI is the simplest method of this and it's supported very
    widely.

    Certain webhosts don't support it, and I'd say go find another if
    that's the case, however you might not always be able to do this, or
    the site might be such high volume that you don't want the processor
    hit (if this is genuinely the case you can probably get funding for
    better hardware from somewhere - after all someone's happy to pay for
    the bandwidth)

    In that case though you can pre-process the documents to static HTML,
    probably best to still use SSI for development (since you can run a
    suitable webserver on your development box) then you can run a tool
    when you publish which combines everything - the main cost is that you
    need to upload everything after doing this (or generate on the server,
    but that's unlikely if you've not got SSI on the server) So upload
    costs are higher.

    > precisely the maintenance task I want to avoid with a
    >script like this.

    There are better solutions without the problem, a ciwa.site-design or
    ciwa.cgi will probably be the place to ask if you need more help after
    googling.

    >Well, if JavsScript is disabled the whole script is broken... visitors must
    >have JavaScript turned on to access the example: to be honest I do not think
    >this is an unrealistic expectation.

    In the real world, I'm afraid it's very unrealistic to expect
    javascript, Google especially would have trouble, running javascript
    in a robot is tough, you have to make sure the javascript can't do
    anything nasty to your poor little robot.

    Jim.

    Jim Ley, Aug 11, 2003