    of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any pointers I
    would be very grateful
    Tom
    Tom, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Tom wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am working on the following layout for a site.
    > http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
    >
    > The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far as the
    > 3 boxes.
    > I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able to
    > apply any of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had
    > any pointers I would be very grateful

    It appears that you are trying to put 3 fixed-width columns into a fixed-width
    container? If so, one technique is to float them all into place (perhaps all
    of them left, say). In fact, variants on the following work even if you are
    not using a fixed-width container.

    Have a look at the following. It isn't exactly what you are doing, but it
    shows the effect of floating 3 fixed-width columns into place. (Ignore the
    pink box at the top).
    http://www.barry.pearson.name/articles/layout_5_3/tableless_fixed_00.htm

    Another method would involve (say) floating a leftbar to the left, floating a
    rightbar to the right, and letting the centre column go into place using
    normal flow, using large left and right margins so that it remained as a
    column if it was longer than the leftbar and rightbar.

    I would not personally try to do what you want using absolute positioning,
    because I don't have sufficient knowledge to make the footer follow the 3
    columns properly in that case.

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/
    Barry Pearson, Feb 17, 2004

  3. Tom

    rf Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am working on the following layout for a site.
    > http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
    >
    > The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far as the 3
    > boxes.
    > I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able to apply

    any
    > of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any pointers I
    > would be very grateful

    A picture of the page in question is almost, no... is, useless.

    URL?

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Tom

    OllimaX Guest

    Tom <> kirjoitti Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:08:50 +0100:

    > Hi
    > I am working on the following layout for a site.
    > http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
    >
    > The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far as the 3
    > boxes.
    > I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able to apply
    > any
    > of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any pointers I
    > would be very grateful
    > Tom

    Look at here:
    http://www.glish.com/css/
    Olli

    --
    email : ollimantyranta"boing"sunpoint"boing"net
    OllimaX, Feb 17, 2004
  5. Tom

    Chet Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    | Hi
    | I am working on the following layout for a site.
    | http://www.lightbox.ie/test/layout.gif
    |
    | The outer box is a div centered in the page. I have got as far
    as the 3
    | boxes.
    | I have seen lots of 3 column layouts but don't seem to be able
    to apply any
    | of the rationale to 3 columns within a div. If anyone had any
    pointers I
    | would be very grateful
    | Tom

    You might have a look at the first four samples I've got here

    http://webpages.charter.net/rwtest/samples/index.htm

    They all have three columns with a header and footer. Also, they
    have a link towards the top for a copy of the external css file
    in .txt format.

    hth
    --
    Chet