CSS looks very differently in IE, FF, O

Merlin

Hi there,

this different browsers are driving me nuts! I am trying to postion an element
on an exact point within the browser. So I used following code:

float : left; position:absolute;top:20px;left:91px;z-index:1;

Now the element is on 3!! different positions. Each browser has its own! Opera,
FF and IE! I tried it with "fixed" and that worked in opera and firefox, but not
in IE.

I am kind of lost here. Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve that?

Thank you a million for any hint,

Merlin

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Merlin said:
this different browsers are driving me nuts! I am trying to postion an
element on an exact point within the browser. So I used following
code:

float : left; position:absolute;top:20px;left:91px;z-index:1;

Without a URL to the page, any suggestions would just be a wild guess.
Now the element is on 3!! different positions. Each browser has its
own! Opera, FF and IE! I tried it with "fixed" and that worked in
opera and firefox, but not in IE.

The browsers all have slightly different versions of padding and
margins. It is extremely difficult to get a pixel-perfect display across
multiple browsers.
I am kind of lost here. Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve
that?

Except for a few web authors who may be intrigued by your layout, nobody
else is going to see the difference. Unless ... you place a bright red
flashing notice on the page advising your regular visitors to "Try me in
three different browsers!" Nobody will use more than one.

Neredbojias

Hi there,

this different browsers are driving me nuts! I am trying to postion an
element on an exact point within the browser. So I used following
code:

float : left; position:absolute;top:20px;left:91px;z-index:1;

Incorrect css. Use float _or_ positioning.
Now the element is on 3!! different positions. Each browser has its
own! Opera, FF and IE! I tried it with "fixed" and that worked in
opera and firefox, but not in IE.

I am kind of lost here. Can anybody give me a hint on how to solve
that?

Probably not without a url except to suggest that you revisit sources
documenting proper css implimentation.