    solution.

    --
    Nick H

    Nick Howes, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Nick Howes wrote:

    > I have the classic CSS setup of a main div and a left-floated div as a
    > menu, which is all lovely and fine until I want the left menu to be a
    > certain color, and the background color stops as soon as the content in it
    > is finished.
    > Without going to tables I'm thinking
    > that an appropriate background image in the body tag is going to be the only
    > solution.

    Something like this?
    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html

    Note that instead of setting the navigation area's background to green, I
    set the body background. Also note, the *content* is floated rather than
    the navigation.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Nick Howes

    Nick Howes Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Nick Howes wrote:
    >
    > > I have the classic CSS setup of a main div and a left-floated div as

    > > menu, which is all lovely and fine until I want the left menu to be a
    > > certain color, and the background color stops as soon as the content in

    it
    > > is finished.

    > Something like this?

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html

    Very much like that, yes!

    > Note that instead of setting the navigation area's background to green, I
    > set the body background. Also note, the *content* is floated rather than
    > the navigation.

    Thanks I'll give that a go

    Nick Howes, Nov 11, 2003
  4. On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:17:41 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Nick Howes wrote:
    >
    >> I have the classic CSS setup of a main div and a left-floated div as a
    >> menu, which is all lovely and fine until I want the left menu to be a
    >> certain color, and the background color stops as soon as the content in it
    >> is finished.
    >> Without going to tables I'm thinking
    >> that an appropriate background image in the body tag is going to be the only
    >> solution.

    >Something like this?
    >http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html
    >
    >Note that instead of setting the navigation area's background to green, I
    >set the body background. Also note, the *content* is floated rather than
    >the navigation.

    Toby, I wonder if I can come in on this. I saw your reply which was
    just what I was looking for, and I copied the code to use. However,
    when I changed over the nav bar to the left, I got the OP's original
    problem, which is that the background colour (white) finishes when the
    text finishes. What have I done wrong?

    Test page at

    http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com/ave.html

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com

    Sally Thompson, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Sally Thompson wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:17:41 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nick Howes wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have the classic CSS setup of a main div and a left-floated div as a
    >>> menu, which is all lovely and fine until I want the left menu to be a
    >>> certain color, and the background color stops as soon as the content in it
    >>> is finished.

    >>Something like this?
    >>http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html

    > Toby, I wonder if I can come in on this. I saw your reply which was
    > just what I was looking for, and I copied the code to use. However,
    > when I changed over the nav bar to the left, I got the OP's original
    > problem, which is that the background colour (white) finishes when the
    > text finishes. What have I done wrong?
    >
    > http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com/ave.html

    I have a terrible headache, so am finding it a bit hard to concentrate
    today. It looks like a problem with the padding and/or margin on something.

    You should be able to get it to work though. See:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn-b

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 12, 2003
  6. On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:42:37 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Sally Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:17:41 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Something like this?
    >>>http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html

    >> Toby, I wonder if I can come in on this. I saw your reply which was
    >> just what I was looking for, and I copied the code to use. However,
    >> when I changed over the nav bar to the left, I got the OP's original
    >> problem, which is that the background colour (white) finishes when the
    >> text finishes. What have I done wrong?
    >>
    >> http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com/ave.html

    >I have a terrible headache, so am finding it a bit hard to concentrate
    >today. It looks like a problem with the padding and/or margin on something.
    >
    >You should be able to get it to work though. See:
    >
    >http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn-b

    Thanks Toby - will go and try it. Oh well, I never thought it would
    be easy to learn CSS! Hope the headache clears soon.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK

    Sally Thompson, Nov 12, 2003
  7. On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:42:37 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >Sally Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:17:41 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Something like this?
    >>>http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html

    >> Toby, I wonder if I can come in on this. I saw your reply which was
    >> just what I was looking for, and I copied the code to use. However,
    >> when I changed over the nav bar to the left, I got the OP's original
    >> problem, which is that the background colour (white) finishes when the
    >> text finishes. What have I done wrong?
    >>
    >> http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com/ave.html

    >I have a terrible headache, so am finding it a bit hard to concentrate
    >today. It looks like a problem with the padding and/or margin on something.
    >
    >You should be able to get it to work though. See:
    >
    >http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn-b

    (Later) Just to let you know that it did work. I seem to have
    changed the bottom padding, also I found that I needed the p.last in
    the side div. Thanks very much!

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK

    Sally Thompson, Nov 12, 2003