CSS menu - can it go all the way down

Nick Howes

Afternoon chaps,
I have the classic CSS setup of a main div and a left-floated div as a
menu, which is all lovely and fine until I want the left menu to be a
certain color, and the background color stops as soon as the content in it
is finished.
Is there really no way to stretch the height of the div to go to the
bottom of the page? I think using { height:100%; } just takes the height of
the window which isn't much better. Without going to tables I'm thinking
that an appropriate background image in the body tag is going to be the only
solution.

Toby A Inkster

Nick said:
I have the classic CSS setup of a main div and a left-floated div as a
menu, which is all lovely and fine until I want the left menu to be a
certain color, and the background color stops as soon as the content in it
is finished.
Without going to tables I'm thinking
that an appropriate background image in the body tag is going to be the only
solution.

Something like this?
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html

Note that instead of setting the navigation area's background to green, I
set the body background. Also note, the *content* is floated rather than
the navigation.

Sally Thompson

Something like this?
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn.html

Note that instead of setting the navigation area's background to green, I
set the body background. Also note, the *content* is floated rather than
the navigation.

Toby, I wonder if I can come in on this. I saw your reply which was
just what I was looking for, and I copied the code to use. However,
when I changed over the nav bar to the left, I got the OP's original
problem, which is that the background colour (white) finishes when the
text finishes. What have I done wrong?

Test page at

http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com/ave.html

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com

Toby A Inkster

Sally said:
Toby, I wonder if I can come in on this. I saw your reply which was
just what I was looking for, and I copied the code to use. However,
when I changed over the nav bar to the left, I got the OP's original
problem, which is that the background colour (white) finishes when the
text finishes. What have I done wrong?

http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com/ave.html

I have a terrible headache, so am finding it a bit hard to concentrate
today. It looks like a problem with the padding and/or margin on something.

You should be able to get it to work though. See:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn-b

Sally Thompson

I have a terrible headache, so am finding it a bit hard to concentrate
today. It looks like a problem with the padding and/or margin on something.

You should be able to get it to work though. See:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn-b
Thanks Toby - will go and try it. Oh well, I never thought it would
be easy to learn CSS! Hope the headache clears soon.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://stonybrook.users.btopenworld.com
Email to sally=thompson@btinternet=com and replace the = with a dot
If you wish to reply by email please use sally thompson@btinternet com
and replace the spaces with a dot

Sally Thompson

I have a terrible headache, so am finding it a bit hard to concentrate
today. It looks like a problem with the padding and/or margin on something.

You should be able to get it to work though. See:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Documents/html_tutorial/css-twocolumn-b
(Later) Just to let you know that it did work. I seem to have
changed the bottom padding, also I found that I needed the p.last in
the side div. Thanks very much!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK