CSS Menu & IE

Wayne

I am attempting to take brucie's (and others) advice and move from
frames. One of the issues I need to deal with is menus. Currently I
have JS menus and have been looking at alternative CSS menus. This site
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html has a fine looking
CSS menu in Mozilla, but it starts breaking down in Mozilla Composer
(the spaces change drastically between the menu items) and doesn't work
at all for me on my company computer (XP with IE 6.0). Is there a
problem with IE and CSS, or is there a problem with my company computer?

TIA
Wayne

Mark Parnell

I am attempting to take brucie's (and others) advice and move from
frames.
Woohoo!

One of the issues I need to deal with is menus. Currently I
have JS menus and have been looking at alternative CSS menus.

Good idea.
This site http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html has a
fine looking CSS menu in Mozilla, but it starts breaking down in Mozilla
Composer (the spaces change drastically between the menu items) and
doesn't work at all for me on my company computer (XP with IE 6.0).

I have noticed the preview in Mozilla Composer doesn't match what
actually shows in the browser, even though theoretically they should be
using exactly the same rendering engine - I wouldn't worry about that
side of things too much.

As for IE, the top-level links still work in IE, you just don't get the
lower-level links.

A better one to use is at http://devedge.netscape.com/ It uses a
combination of CSS and Javascript, and works fine on Moz, Opera and IE
(the lower-level menus don't work in IE, and are flaky in Opera, but
again, the top level links still work, so it is still usable).
Is there a problem with IE and CSS

I nominate this for understatement of the month. :)

Toby A Inkster

Mark said:
A better one to use is at http://devedge.netscape.com/ It uses a
combination of CSS and Javascript, and works fine on Moz, Opera and IE

To clarify, the next two quoted lines only apply for people with
Javascript disabled:
(the lower-level menus don't work in IE, and are flaky in Opera, but
again, the top level links still work, so it is still usable).

And *with* Javascript *enabled* the menu works in IE 5.5+, Netscape 6+,
Mozilla, Safari, Konqueror 3 and Opera 6+ (IIRC) as well as any browsers
that don't support neither CSS nor Javascript, such as Lynx and Googlebot.

david m wicker

To clarify, the next two quoted lines only apply for people with
Javascript disabled:

And *with* Javascript *enabled* the menu works in IE 5.5+, Netscape 6+,
Mozilla, Safari, Konqueror 3 and Opera 6+ (IIRC) as well as any browsers
that don't support neither CSS nor Javascript, such as Lynx and Googlebot.

have you tried
http://www.projectseven.com/index.htm

Regards

David M Wicker