    way that you do with a css for format???

    Thanks!
    Leeza
    Leeza, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Leeza

    Mark Parnell Guest

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Leeza

    Jens Duttke Guest

    hi!

    "Leeza" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > I have a website
    > that has multiple pages. I have created a navigation menu using an

    unordered
    > list. Rather than having to update each and every page everytime I want

    > change the menu is there a way that I can link to one common one kind of

    the
    > way that you do with a css for format???

    That's only possible on the server-side, there is no easy way (currently) to
    do that on the client (without JavaScript and Frames).
    Not all servers support these functions (mostly free webspace-providers
    doesn't).

    Ok, first of all you can do it via SSI (Server Side Includes) :

    Place <!--#include file="yourmenucode.ssi" --> in the html-files where
    normally the menu is located, and place the menu-code in yourmenucode.ssi.

    For more informations look here :

    http://www.apacheweek.com/features/ssi

    If the server does not support SSI, you could try PHP (some server support
    PHP but not SSI)

    In PHP you have to use <?php include "yourmenucode.ssi"; ?>

    More info's here :

    http://de.php.net/manual/de/function.include.php

    Not much free webspace-providers support SSI and PHP, but there are some.
    If you have a commerical webspace-provider, he should normally support them,
    otherwise he sucks :p

    Cu, Jens
    --
    http://www.pixelforge.de
    Jens Duttke, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Leeza

    Leeza Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > Leeza wrote:
    > > I am very new to CSS and HTML design and have gotten stuck. I have a
    > > website that has multiple pages. I have created a navigation menu
    > > using an unordered list. Rather than having to update each and every
    > > page everytime I want to change the menu is there a way that I can
    > > link to one common one kind of the way that you do with a css for
    > > format???

    > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
    >
    > --

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    > http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Thanks Mark, I'll check it out.
    Leeza, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Leeza

    Leeza Guest

    "Jens Duttke" <> wrote in message

    > That's only possible on the server-side, there is no easy way (currently)

    > do that on the client (without JavaScript and Frames).
    > Not all servers support these functions (mostly free webspace-providers
    > doesn't).
    >
    > Ok, first of all you can do it via SSI (Server Side Includes) :
    >
    > Place <!--#include file="yourmenucode.ssi" --> in the html-files where
    > normally the menu is located, and place the menu-code in yourmenucode.ssi.
    >
    > For more informations look here :
    >
    > http://www.apacheweek.com/features/ssi
    >
    > If the server does not support SSI, you could try PHP (some server support
    > PHP but not SSI)
    >
    > In PHP you have to use <?php include "yourmenucode.ssi"; ?>
    >
    > More info's here :
    >
    > http://de.php.net/manual/de/function.include.php
    >
    > Not much free webspace-providers support SSI and PHP, but there are some.
    > If you have a commerical webspace-provider, he should normally support

    them,
    > otherwise he sucks :p
    >
    > Cu, Jens
    > --
    > http://www.pixelforge.de

    Thanks so much! I will see if my provider supports SSI / PHP.
    Leeza, Jul 28, 2003
  6. Leeza

    E-Guy Guest

    Your server should support if you rename your files to a .shtml extension
    rather than .htm or .html. Also, if you are going to use the php include,
    your pages will need to be filename.php.

    E-Guy, Aug 14, 2003