CSS Newbie needs help

Toronto Newf

Could someone please look at my code and let me know what I may have done
wrong.

I was doing a css tutorial and it did not work out like it is supposed to.

I have included the CSS code I have done. if you need the HTML code let
me know.

I could not get the header or nav bar to work. All I am getting is the test
showing up with now header graphics or side nav bar.

here is the css

/*"This is the core style sheet of the site."
*/
body {

background-color: #dedede;

background-image: url(images/page-bg.gif);

margin: 0;

color: #666666;

font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 1em;

}

#outer-image {height: 249px;

background-image: url(images/pale-clouds.jpg);
background-position: center top;
}

#inner-image {height: 199px;

background-image: url(images/clouds.jpg);

background-repeat: no-repeat;

background-position: center top;

}

#header {

background-color: #ffffff;

border-bottom: 1px #000000 solid;

padding-left: 125px;

padding-right: 125px;

padding-top: 10px;

padding-bottom: 10px;
}

#header p { font-size: .6em;

}

#main-content {

background-color: #ffffff;

border: 1px #000000 solid;

margin-left: 180px;

margin-right: 180px;

margin-top: -50px

padding: 10px;

}

#navbar {

background-color: #ffffff;

position: absolute;

top: 400px;

left: 0px;

width: 180px;

border-top: solid 1px #000000;

text-align: center;

#navbar a:link, #navbar a:visited {

display: block;

color: #7e7e7e;

background-color: #ffffff;

border-bottom: solid 1px #000000;

padding-bottom: 3px;

padding-top: 3px;

text-decoration: none;

}

#navbar a:hover {background-color: #dedede;

p {font-size: .8em;

text-align: justify;

line-height: 1.7em;

}

p.footer {

font-size: .5em;

text-align: center;

font-weight: bold;

}

a:link {

color: #666666;

background-color: #cfd8e0;

text-decoration: none;

}

a:visited {

color: #666666;

background-color: #cfd8e0;

text-decoration: line-through;

}

a:hover {

color: #ffffff;

background-color: #9baebf;

}

a:active {

background-color: #67849e;

}

h1 {font-size: 1.2em;

text-align: right;

font-style: italic;

letter-spacing: 5px;

}

h2 {

font-size: 1.1em;

text-decoration: underline;

}

Thanks,

Robert

Wÿrm

<snip all off>

URL? It's much easier to say when you have page ONLINE and one can take
peek on that instead huge pile of CSS code...

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Could someone please look at my code and let me know what I may have done
wrong.

URL?

That CSS looks *very* long-winded.

Frogleg

Could someone please look at my code and let me know what I may have done
wrong.

A better procedure is to post a URL. Not only can people look at the
problem "in action," without slogging through every line of your code,
but often one 'self-corrects' (or introduces other errors) when typing
into a message.

rf

http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/hands_on_tutorial/finished_project/index.html

This page seems to me to work quite well, after I displayed it in two or
three different browsers. I saw a header, an image, some content and a
navigation bar.

It was only after I spent further time looking at the CSS for the above
page did I discover the need to ask: Is this the page you are copying from
or is it your page?

I suspect the former, the css from the above page is not the same as the css
you have posted below.

A URL to *your* page is required, otherwise any response you get here will
be pure guesswork.

Also, looking at just the CSS is not adequate. Often the error is in the
HTML, not the CSS.

<snip css>

Toronto Newf

hi CAn I view the css file from the orginal page somehow. if so how could I
do that. Then I will be able to check my work with the orgianl file,

thanks,

Robert

rf

Please do not top post.
hi CAn I view the css file from the orginal page somehow. if so how could I
do that. Then I will be able to check my work with the orgianl file,

You did not answer my question. I can only assume the answer is that the
supplied URL is *not* your page.

If you do not post a URL to your page then you will find it extremely
difficult to obtain help.

In answer to the above question, the page is at:

http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/hands_on_tutorial/finished_project/index.html

Look at the source. You will see a link to core-style.css

View this at

view-source:http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/hands_on_tutorial/fi
nished_project/core-style.css

(you will probably have to copy/paste this and watch the wrap)