css not applied + lost image

Ian Gordon

Hello,

Here's a weird one that I can't quite put my finger on, but wonder if anyone
may enlighten me?

My ASP.NET site is all working functionally on site, but for some reason,
none of the images are being shown in the browser when it's running, and
also the style sheet referenced in the html header on each page is not being
applied to the text. So, it works but looks shoddy...

There is nothing wrong with the html - I've taken the code from 'view
source' in browser, made a new .htm page from it in the app directory, and
when I view it, the images are there and the css formatting is as it should
be.

The browser is IE version 6, and the 'show pictures' option is checked so
it't not that that prevents the image from being rendered.

Any ideas / pointers much appreciated.

Ian

(e-mail address removed)

MS News \(MS LVP\)

If you are using
<asp:Image ImageUrl="..." Runat="server"></asp:Image>

make sure you have Runat="server"

John Saunders

Ian,

Did you mean to respond? If so, your response was blank.

John Saunders
(e-mail address removed)

Ian Gordon

oops!

Right, yep, the urls are all correct, and runat="server" is set as
required. Strange.

the CSS file link url is also correct -the web forms and css file are in
same directory, and link is as below:
<LINK href="mycss.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

Why would this not be applying the relevant css formatting at run-time?
It works fine on 2 other machines I've tested on.

With regards, Ian
(e-mail address removed)

John Saunders

Ian Gordon said:
oops!

Right, yep, the urls are all correct, and runat="server" is set as
required. Strange.

the CSS file link url is also correct -the web forms and css file are in
same directory, and link is as below:
<LINK href="mycss.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

Why would this not be applying the relevant css formatting at run-time?
It works fine on 2 other machines I've tested on.

Ok, now that we're pretty sure that the css file is found and valid (though
you might want to throw in some JavaScript to confirm this), you have the
question of why it works differently on different machines. Keep in mind
that the "c" in "css" stands for "Cascading". You may have inherited styles
from another stylesheet interfering with yours. Although "mycss.css" may be
the same on all machines, one of the other stylesheets may not be.

See if you can create a test <div> at the very top of the .aspx file which
uses one of the styles from mycss. If that doesn't work, you'll then have to
track down all the other ways CSS might be giving you something unexpected.
For instance, styles on the <body> tag, other style rules for "div", etc.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Ian,

John is right here. Since the same code behaviors differently in machines,
we'd better compare them first. I suggest you:

1) Create a simplest testing page in that machine to test it could show
image well
2) If yes, check CSS inherited tree to make sure that it is the same as
John suggested.
3) If no, please create a simple page to just contain one image to test if
it could be shown.
4) If still no, my suggest is to reinstall asp.net on your system. It is
very quick. You could refer to http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005 for
detailed steps.

If the problem still there, please post here. Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
!From: Ian Gordon <[email protected]>
!Subject: Re: css not applied + lost image
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 11:13:51 -0700
!
!oops!
!
!Right, yep, the urls are all correct, and runat="server" is set as
!required. Strange.
!
!the CSS file link url is also correct -the web forms and css file are in
!same directory, and link is as below:
!<LINK href="mycss.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
!
!Why would this not be applying the relevant css formatting at run-time?
!It works fine on 2 other machines I've tested on.
!
!With regards, Ian
[email protected]
!
!
!
!Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
!