CSS Opinions Requested

gonebye

Cheers,

I've learned basics of styling, and am trying to comprehend positioning.
I stripped a positioning page from bluerobot.com, trying to get a grip on
it, but am having problems. What is the most popular way to code this
type of page?

http://wholives.com/temp/a.html is the original stripped bluerobot page. I
can't comprehend why two different positioning methods where used, cause
they don't line up and they don't readjust properly when the header box is
enlarged or decreased.

http://wholives.com/temp/b.html , Here, I changed the two menu and content
boxes below to absolute positioning with percentages instead of pixels.
Well, seems to work okay, but how do I maintain the same 2px distance
between all boxes? The top header box has margins of 2px. The two bottom
boxes, I removed the "top" positioners, and it seems to have grabbed on to
the header box's 2px. It re-adjusts, nicely, if header box is enlarged or
compressed. How do I get the 2px between the menu and content boxes? I put
margin tags in there, but then the boxes overlapped,
http://wholives.com/temp/c.html Maybe if I remove all px sizing, entire
page, and
change everything to percentages????

Lastly, I removed the absolute positioning, but I'm at a loss on how to
get two boxes on the same line: http://wholives.com/temp/d.html

Mainly, would like your own opinion and preferences, that I might get a
newbie grip on this stuff.

Thanks,
without instructions.....

JDS

I've learned basics of styling, and am trying to comprehend positioning.

Please keep in mind that the browser you use for testing will make a big
difference. MSIE is horribly broken with regard to a large number of CSS
things, including and not limited to many different problems with CSS
positioning.

Modern Mozilla/Gecko based browsers (e.g. Mozilla, Netscape 6+, Firefox)
are pretty good with CSS positioning.

Opera is really quite good as well.

Konqueror/Safari is good also.

But all have subtle differences in the way they do stuff.

I have not answered your question, I realize, but this stuff is an
important component of learning how to use CSS.

Richard

I've learned basics of styling, and am trying to comprehend
positioning.
I stripped a positioning page from bluerobot.com, trying to get a grip
on
it, but am having problems. What is the most popular way to code this
type of page?

You have a good grasp of what to do except for one thing.
FLOAT.
Forget trying to position the divisions absolutely.
The css would read as float:left;

In one menu division you show a margin of 75% for the RIGHT side of the box.
The order of margin/padding is top, right, bottom, left.
Changing the box size in accordance with the screen size could cause
problems.
As all content MUST fit within the box regardless of size.
You would be better off defining the box in either px or em.

You're getting there. Just keep experimenting with a few more things.