    width:317px;
    /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
    top;*/ }
    Slinky, Aug 8, 2009

  2. Slinky

    Slinky Guest

    On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
    wrote:

    >So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
    >page of the site:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
    >
    >If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
    >I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
    >the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
    >figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
    >
    >div.homepage div.quicksearch {
    >float:left;
    >height:240px;
    >padding:0 0 0 210px;
    >width:317px;
    > /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
    >top;*/ }

    Apparently it is the float:left

    But I can't figure out what to do about this to realign without the
    float affecting the layout and the inability to click. Much appreciate
    anyone's help explaining this issue.
    Slinky, Aug 8, 2009

  3. Slinky

    richard Guest

    wrote:

    >So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
    >page of the site:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
    >
    >If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
    >I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
    >the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
    >figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
    >
    >div.homepage div.quicksearch {
    >float:left;
    >height:240px;
    >padding:0 0 0 210px;
    >width:317px;
    > /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
    >top;*/ }

    you might want to check out ondoubleclick.
    onclick assumes the first click and acts accordingly.
    richard, Aug 8, 2009
  4. Slinky

    Slinky Guest

    On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:38:00 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
    >>page of the site:
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
    >>
    >>If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
    >>I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
    >>the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
    >>figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
    >>
    >>div.homepage div.quicksearch {
    >>float:left;
    >>height:240px;
    >>padding:0 0 0 210px;
    >>width:317px;
    >> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
    >>top;*/ }

    >you might want to check out ondoubleclick.
    >onclick assumes the first click and acts accordingly.

    Thanks Richard - but apparently it's the float:left which is causing
    the problem. If I delete that the problem goes away and the dropdowns
    work perfectly, although they are misaligned.
    Slinky, Aug 8, 2009
  5. Slinky

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com> wrote:
    >On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:38:00 -0700, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
    >>>page of the site:
    >>>
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh

    The HTML validator at http://validator.w3.org shows 59 errors; perhaps you
    should fix those first.
    Doug Miller, Aug 8, 2009
  6. Slinky

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 22:46:23 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:38:00 -0700, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:26:52 -0400, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
    >>>page of the site:
    >>>
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
    >>>
    >>>If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
    >>>I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
    >>>the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
    >>>figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
    >>>
    >>>div.homepage div.quicksearch {
    >>>float:left;
    >>>height:240px;
    >>>padding:0 0 0 210px;
    >>>width:317px;
    >>> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
    >>>top;*/ }

    >>you might want to check out ondoubleclick.
    >>onclick assumes the first click and acts accordingly.

    >Thanks Richard - but apparently it's the float:left which is causing
    >the problem. If I delete that the problem goes away and the dropdowns
    >work perfectly, although they are misaligned.

    Actually, I had posted this to the wrong thread.
    richard, Aug 8, 2009
  7. Slinky

    Slinky Guest

    On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 03:42:18 -0500, Ben C <> wrote:

    >On 2009-08-08, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com> wrote:
    >> So here is a good one that has me a little stumped. This is the home
    >> page of the site:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/mkrngh
    >>
    >> If you notice, the quicksearch is functional but can't be clicked on.
    >> I'm not sure why. This seems to be the offending code. If I remove it,
    >> the quicksearch jumps out of position but is functional. I'm trying to
    >> figure out why as is, the drop downs are not accessible.
    >>
    >> div.homepage div.quicksearch {
    >> float:left;
    >> height:240px;
    >> padding:0 0 0 210px;
    >> width:317px;
    >> /*background: url('quicksearch.jpg') no-repeat right
    >> top;*/ }

    >The reason is that your <div class="dataitem single previewbox"> is on
    >top of the floated quicksearch div.
    >
    >It may have a transparent background, but it is not immune to the mouse.
    >So you're clicking on the dataitemsinglepreviewbox div, not on the
    >quicksearch stuff underneath it.
    >
    >The reason it's stacked above is because it's position: relative. It's
    >in CSS 2.1 9.9.1. Floats go at level 4 (above normal flow stuff, even
    >that comes later), but positioned boxes go even higher, at level 6.
    >
    >It's not obvious why you need position: relative on that div, so maybe
    >you could just get rid of it. If you do need it for something, then set
    >the quicksearch float to position: relative and z-index: 1 to pull it to
    >the front. It needs position: relative because z-index only applies to
    >positioned boxes.

    I've been cleaning up the CSS where it seems minimal but THIS was the
    problem. How do I say a HUGE THANK YOU! I tried the index but without
    the position:relative it wasn't working. Ben.... thank you so much!
    Slinky, Aug 8, 2009
  8. Slinky

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Slinky <slinky__a_t@newsguy__.com> wrote:

    >I've been cleaning up the CSS where it seems minimal but THIS was the
    >problem. How do I say a HUGE THANK YOU! I tried the index but without
    >the position:relative it wasn't working. Ben.... thank you so much!

    Don't forget you still have a lot of validation errors to fix...
    Doug Miller, Aug 8, 2009