    people recommend is the best way to do a website with columns?

    Thanks
    Allan
    Allan D, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Allan D wrote:
    > I would like to create a website with 2 or 3 columns. What is the
    > general opinion here on the best way to go about that? I have read
    > about using tables as well as putting the layout settings in a css
    > file. What would people recommend is the best way to do a website
    > with columns?

    For CSS based layouts: two columns is more robust than three.

    For best advice show a URL that you would like to emulate.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Allan D

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Allan D" <> wrote in

    > I would like to create a website with 2 or 3 columns. What is the general
    > opinion here on the best way to go about that? I have read about using
    > tables as well as putting the layout settings in a css file. What would
    > people recommend is the best way to do a website with columns?

    It all depends on *why* you're thinking in terms of columns. If each
    column represents a different "property" of the same "item," then you've
    got what's logically a table (even if there's only a single item) and you
    should mark it up as such. A quick test is to ask yourself if you could
    think of meaningful headers for the columns.

    If, OTOH, you just want the columns to create a certain look, then you
    don't have a logical table and you'd be best off implementing the look
    using CSS.
    Eric Bohlman, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Allan D

    Allan D Guest

    > For best advice show a URL that you would like to emulate.

    Thanks for the fast replies William & Eric,
    www.acsgarden.com is an example of the sort of site layout I would be using.
    The main reason I posted the question here was that I had almost decided to
    use css, then noticed they had used tables in their design. Does this answer
    your question as well Eric, I'm not exactly sure what you were asking me.
    (Sorry... I'm very new at this)
    Thanks,
    Allan
    Allan D, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Quoth the raven named Allan D:

    > I would like to create a website with 2 or 3 columns. What is the general
    > opinion here on the best way to go about that? I have read about using
    > tables as well as putting the layout settings in a css file. What would
    > people recommend is the best way to do a website with columns?

    You can probably find something here. Most of these templates are
    quite nice. The CSS layouts are also a lot easier to maintain than
    those with tables.

    http://nemesis1.f2o.org/templates.php

    Also, think SSI for your menus.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Allan D

    Leslie Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:50:45 +1100, "Allan D" <> wrote:

    >I would like to create a website with 2 or 3 columns. What is the general
    >opinion here on the best way to go about that? I have read about using
    >tables as well as putting the layout settings in a css file. What would
    >people recommend is the best way to do a website with columns?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Allan

    As a long time user of tables for layout and a newbie to CSS I would
    highly recommend you use CSS. Your designs will be a lot more
    flexible. It didn't take me too long to get the basics of CSS and
    there are lots of tutorials out there to help you along the way.

    I found this site very helpful in creating pages with columns:
    http://glish.com/css/home.asp

    Good luck!

    Leslie
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
    Leslie, Nov 28, 2003
  7. Allan D

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Allan D" <> wrote in

    >> For best advice show a URL that you would like to emulate.
    >>

    > Thanks for the fast replies William & Eric,
    > www.acsgarden.com is an example of the sort of site layout I would be
    > using. The main reason I posted the question here was that I had
    > almost decided to use css, then noticed they had used tables in their
    > design. Does this answer your question as well Eric, I'm not exactly
    > sure what you were asking me. (Sorry... I'm very new at this)

    That particular effect is best achieved with CSS rather than tables,
    because the contents of the three columns are logically independent of each
    other. It should be quite easy to achieve with three floated DIVs; an
    added benefit is that if the page is being viewed in a window too small to
    accommodate all three columns, one or both "boxes" will drop below the
    first rather than running off the side.

    As for why they used tables, lots of designers learned tables for layout
    back in the days before CSS became widely available, and didn't bother
    learning CSS because they couldn't understand its benefits.
    Eric Bohlman, Nov 28, 2003
  8. Allan D

    Allan D Guest

    Thank you all very much for the fast and informative responses. Seems css is
    the way to go. Now comes the hard part right?!

    Cheers,
    Allan
    Allan D, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Allan D wrote:
    > www.acsgarden.com is an example of the sort of site layout I would be using.

    Use CSS, definitley. That layout can be made very easily with CSS.

    > The main reason I posted the question here was that I had almost decided to
    > use css, then noticed they had used tables in their design.

    Unfortunatley, many pages today don't do things right. That's no reason
    to do the same.

    > Does this answer your question as well Eric, I'm not exactly sure what you were asking me.

    He was asking if what you were doing was tabular data, which is what
    tables are for. A nice example of tabular data is in David Dorward's
    article about nested tables (and tables for layout in general) at
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/nested/.
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 28, 2003
  10. Allan D

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Eric Bohlman wrote:
    > Allan D wrote

    >>> For best advice show a URL that you would like to emulate.

    >> Thanks for the fast replies William & Eric,
    >> www.acsgarden.com is an example of the sort of site layout I would be
    >> using.

    > That particular effect is best achieved with CSS rather than tables,
    > because the contents of the three columns are logically independent
    > of each other. It should be quite easy to achieve with three floated
    > DIVs;

    LOL. As I look at the problems I encounter in applying CSS for layout and
    compare it with the good old frames and tables, I must conclude live was
    much easier in the past :)

    > an added benefit is that if the page is being viewed in a
    > window too small to accommodate all three columns, one or both
    > "boxes" will drop below the first rather than running off the side.

    Ehh, I'm not sure that's an advantage. It can make it very difficult to read
    the site.
    Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Allan D

    Steve R. Guest

    Eric Bohlman wrote in message ...
    > That particular effect is best achieved with CSS rather than tables,

    There seem to be a HUGE number of problems with people using CSS in preference to tables on these
    HTML newsgroups, both in presenting the markup correctly and people being able to view it on their
    browsers. On many of the newsgroups practically every third question relates in some way to CSS
    problems :~(

    There's nothing to beat good old-fashioned tried and tested tables :~)

    Steve.
    Steve R., Nov 28, 2003
  12. Allan D wrote:
    > Thank you all very much for the fast and informative responses. Seems
    > css is the way to go. Now comes the hard part right?!

    sort of ;o)

    do yourself a favour - a big favour. go for a two-column layout until you
    dream in CSS

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Nov 28, 2003
  13. Steve R. wrote:
    > There seem to be a HUGE number of problems with people using CSS in preference to tables on these
    > HTML newsgroups, both in presenting the markup correctly and people being able to view it on their
    > browsers. On many of the newsgroups practically every third question relates in some way to CSS
    > problems :~(

    And what do the the other two questions relate to?

    > There's nothing to beat good old-fashioned tried and tested tables :~)

    For tabular data, you're definitley right. CSS works fine for everything
    else.
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 28, 2003
  14. Allan D

    Allan D Guest

    > do yourself a favour - a big favour. go for a two-column layout until you
    > dream in CSS

    I hope that never happens! But I will take your advice... two column should
    do what I need it to.

    Thanks,
    Allan
    Allan D, Dec 1, 2003
  15. Allan D

    Otuatail Guest

    What you are doing is good. The only problem with tables. you can fix the
    columbs, but if the browser is displayed on diferent PC's using 800x600
    or 1024x768 you might want to make the table flexible.
    2. if the table contains an image, the columb will not go less than the size
    of the image. Have a think about the resoulution of the PC's using it.

    Des.
    Otuatail, Dec 3, 2003