    http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com

    p.s. it's not completely done, but it's approaching there.

    , Sep 26, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
    > define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
    > webpage layout?

    a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 26, 2005

  3. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
    >> define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
    >> webpage layout?
    >>

    > a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

    and the answer is CSS

    Thomas Jollans, Sep 26, 2005
  4. Guest Guest

    "Thomas Jollans" <>
    >> a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

    > and the answer is CSS

    'cause the tables are old, and were not invented to use for positioning,
    which some ppl still can't understand and make heavy, 200 kB htmls...

    Regards,
    Talthen

    Guest, Sep 26, 2005
  5. wrote:

    > "Thomas Jollans" <>
    >
    >>>a very *quick* scan of this newsgroup will answer your question

    >>and the answer is CSS

    > 'cause the tables are old, and were not invented to use for positioning,
    > which some ppl still can't understand and make heavy, 200 kB htmls...

    additionally CSS saves you time and effort, if all you want to do is
    change the appearance of blocks of text in tables requires extensive
    editing of your HTML, whereas via DIV's an CSS only need to change your CSS.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 26, 2005
  6. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 26 Sep 2005 09:47:16 -0700, wrote:

    >I would like to get people's opinion

    Your lack of basic respect for other newsgroup posters, evidenced by
    your clear total failure to even _try_ searching the archive, earns you
    an auto-plonk on sight.

    Andy Dingley, Sep 26, 2005
  7. Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:

    > I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
    > define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
    > webpage layout?

    Layout? Ah, neither. The best layout is done with html.

    > Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
    > gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.
    >
    > http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com
    >

    > p.s. it's not completely done, but it's approaching there.

    Your background's too bright for the content.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Sep 26, 2005
  8. Jake Guest

    In message <>, Andy Dingley
    <> writes
    >On 26 Sep 2005 09:47:16 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>I would like to get people's opinion

    >Your lack of basic respect for other newsgroup posters, evidenced by
    >your clear total failure to even _try_ searching the archive, earns you
    >an auto-plonk on sight.

    I feel sure he's full of remorse now that you've pointed that out to him
    .....;-)

    Regards.

    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

    Jake, Sep 27, 2005
  9. rf Guest

    Jake wrote:

    > I feel sure he's full of remorse now that you've pointed that out to him
    > ....;-)

    Given that the OP is yet another one from groups.google what do you think?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 27, 2005
  10. Marc Guest

    wrote:
    > I would like to get people's opinion on whether or not its better
    > define a web page's layout in CSS (using position) or use tables for a
    > webpage layout?

    Layout is done with best HTML, tabular data with <table> and associated
    tags, and appearance with CSS.

    > Here is a link to the first website that I have built from the
    > gournd-up. Please leave some feedback if you have any.
    >
    > http://www.sandiegoonthebeach.com

    Work on the quality of your pictures. On first glance I thought the
    website was showing pictures of a crumbling old building due to the poor
    resizing of your photos. It's not a website that would convince me to
    stay at your hotel.

    And I agree with the other poster - the background needs to go - it's
    too distracting.

    Marc

    Marc, Sep 27, 2005
  11. smokeyd Guest

    Hey not a bad first attempt though... There is also the issue of
    accessibility, if you want your web site viewable by as many people as
    possible then use css.

    smokeyd, Sep 27, 2005
  12. Marc Guest

    smokeyd wrote:
    > Hey not a bad first attempt though... There is also the issue of
    > accessibility, if you want your web site viewable by as many people as
    > possible then use css.

    Okay, I rephrase - the *photos* wouldn't persuade me to stay at your
    hotel, which looks in those pictures to be falling over. :p

    Marc

    Marc, Sep 27, 2005
  13. Jake Guest

    In message <>,
    smokeyd <> writes
    >Hey not a bad first attempt though... There is also the issue of
    >accessibility, if you want your web site viewable by as many people as
    >possible then use css.

    That's a very interesting comment. Could you why?

    Regards.

    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

    Jake, Sep 27, 2005
  14. smokeyd Guest

    Why what?

    smokeyd, Sep 28, 2005
  15. smokeyd wrote:

    > Why what?

    Why what??

    Please learn to quote what you are referring to, you know like the stuff
    above my question ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 28, 2005
  16. smokeyd Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > smokeyd <> writes
    > >Hey not a bad first attempt though... There is also the issue of
    > >accessibility, if you want your web site viewable by as many people as
    > >possible then use css.
    > >

    > That's a very interesting comment. Could you why?

    Could I why? What is the question here?

    smokeyd, Sep 28, 2005
  17. rf Guest

    > smokeyd wrote:
    >
    > > Why what?
    > >

    > Why what??
    >
    > Please learn to quote what you are referring to, you know like the stuff
    > above my question ;-)

    smokeyd is yet another of the dreaded google groups users.

    rf, Sep 28, 2005
  18. Jake Guest

    In message <>,
    smokeyd <> writes

    >Jake wrote:
    >> In message <>,
    >> smokeyd <> writes
    >> >Hey not a bad first attempt though... There is also the issue of
    >> >accessibility, if you want your web site viewable by as many people as
    >> >possible then use css.
    >> >

    >> That's a very interesting comment. Could you why?

    >Could I why? What is the question here?

    An example of the brain being quicker than the fingers ;-)

    So. Could you (explain) why?

    --
    Jake ( -- just a 'spam trap' mail address)

    Jake, Sep 28, 2005
  19. smokeyd Guest

    Web sites built using CSS separate the page content from the design of
    the web site. This makes them more accessible to users browsing the
    net by other means than the usual I.E. For example, a screen reader
    when reading a site using tables will read out the <table> tags and
    spacer images so may take some time before the user actually gets to
    the information that they require. With CSS there is no formatting on
    the page so the screen reader gets straight to the useful content.
    Anyway I am sure a quick Google on CSS and accessibility will explain
    it better and in more depth than I can.

    rf what is your point?

    smokeyd, Sep 29, 2005
  20. Marc Guest

    smokeyd wrote:
    > Web sites built using CSS separate the page content from the design of
    > the web site. This makes them more accessible to users browsing the
    > net by other means than the usual I.E. For example, a screen reader
    > when reading a site using tables will read out the <table> tags and
    > spacer images so may take some time before the user actually gets to
    > the information that they require. With CSS there is no formatting on
    > the page so the screen reader gets straight to the useful content.
    > Anyway I am sure a quick Google on CSS and accessibility will explain
    > it better and in more depth than I can.
    >
    > rf what is your point?

    Will you *please* include at least some of the post you're replying to
    within your post - this post appears to have nothing to do with what
    you've replied to...?!

    Marc

    Marc, Sep 29, 2005