Css Ordered List problem FF and IE

Gan Forr

Hi...I've got this problem...I hope somebody will help me....

I have this ordered list and I want every element of the list aligned
to the left border of the containing div, just like the text above and
below.
In firefox works perfectly, but in IE every element of the list is
slightly on the left of where I want it to be.

Thank You
Here's the code:
<head>
div.normal
{
position:absolute; left:10px;
border:1px solid #404040;
font-family:Verdana;
font-weight:bold;
font-size:10px;
padding: 4px;
text-align:left;
}

ol {
list-style-type:lower-alpha;
list-style-type:lower-alpha;
margin:0 0 0 1em;
padding:0 0 0 1em;
}
</head>
<ol><br />
<li>Un certo numero di quotidiani (la carta di quotidiano è la
migliore per la cartapesta - se non li leggete, iniziate a farlo)</li>
<li>Una bacinella</li>
<li>Un paio di tonnellate di colla vinilica :)D)</li>
<li>Filo di ferro (o qualcos'altro se vi vengono altre idee); quello
che ho usato io è spesso circa 1,5mm</li>
<li>Nastro adesivo di carta</li>

SigelsTankMage

ok first of all stop using internal style sheets. cut and paste your
css into a separate text document and save it as style.css

now put this code inbetween the <head></head> tags like this:

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="style.css" />
</head>

now make a new text document called "ie6.css" or "ie7.css" and
copypasta all your css from your style.css document and make changes
accordingly for ie6 or 7 so that your page displays proper.

now put this in your header:

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="style.css" />
<!--[if IE 6]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="iespecific.css" />
<![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="iespecific.css" />
<![endif]-->
</head>

Gan Forr

SigelsTankM, first of all, thanks for your reply.

I do have a separate style sheet actually, but this is not my real
page, it's just a portion of the text I have to display with the
relative style. I put everything together to make the code easier to
read.

Do I have exactly put something like <!--[if IE 6]> in the header to
decide which css to use?

By the way, what I needed to know is what to put in IE css to get the
same result of Firefox, that is, to get the list aligned to left.

This is what I mean:
Firefox:
http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ffht3.jpg

Internet Explorer:
http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ieza0.jpg

I just want the list aligned as in Firefox, but I can't get the same
result in IE, no matter what I try (at least what I tried)

Thank you again
Federico

Bergamot

Gan Forr

Sorry SigelsTank, I was so stupid....your answer was satisfing
enough....I was so distracted that I had'nt realized that I already
had the solution....Actually, with conditional comments I can easily
use a customized css for IE; so I just need to adjust the margin and
padding as I need.

thank you