CSS positioning: 3px problem

Daan

Hello everyone,

Since I've learned that tables should only be used for tabular data, I
am now trying to use CSS for the positioning of elements on my page.
But I've run into a small problem.

The problem is with this page:
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/cpl/index.html.

In Mozilla Firebird, the two small boxes and the large one in the
middle line up perfectly, that is: the top of the boxes is at the same
height. However, in Internet Explorer (6) and Opera (7), the small
boxes are just a little lower than the large box.

Is this something I'll have to learn to live with because the browsers
differ too much, or is there something wrong with my code?

The CSS-code can be found at
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/cpl/style.css.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Daan Stolp

Anders Thorsen Holm

Daan said:
In Mozilla Firebird, the two small boxes and the large one in the
middle line up perfectly, that is: the top of the boxes is at the
same height. However, in Internet Explorer (6) and Opera (7), the
small boxes are just a little lower than the large box.

Depends on font-sizes etc.
Is this something I'll have to learn to live with because the
browsers differ too much, or is there something wrong with my
code?

The top menu is placed in the same div as the middle contents. Due to
font-size variations etc. it may take up more space than expected,
pushing the other contents of the middle div down.

Place the top menu outside either of the three columns.

Example (probably needs some optimizing):

<http://www.daimi.au.dk/~zoolook/misc/campuslaan37/>

Daan

By the way, thanks for rewriting the rest of the page :) I noticed
that you have replaced a lot of my div's with <h#> and <p> elements.
That's certainly an improvent where document structure is concerned,
but in my effort to work with positionable blocks, all I could think
was "div, div, div!".

Thanks again!
Daan