    Is there anybody outthere who might solve this problem?

    Thanks for your help

    Alex

    Alexander Nagelmann, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Alexander Nagelmann

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <e1p672$lks$>, Alexander Nagelmann
    <> writes
    >Hi everybody!
    >
    >I'm redesigning a website for an organisation of our church.
    >I'm using CSS for positioning and layouting the page. But there's
    >one problem which makes trouble. On Firefox the website looks
    >good, but on IE one column with dates (Mein Alter etc.) overlaps
    >with the headline, so that it looks stupid. I've already tried to
    >solve this problem but no attempt helped. (it only got more worse)
    >Is there anybody outthere who might solve this problem?

    I think you're doing far too much absolute positioning. You should try
    to let your document flow more freely.

    I removed most, if not all, the 'Position: absolute' settings and
    replaced many for them with 'Float: left' or 'Float: right.'

    I've uploaded all the changes I've made to:
    <http://www.spam-free.org.uk/pages/1/WWW.htm>

    I think the padding/margins on ul and li needs to been slightly changed
    to get it looking like your original.

    Anyway, I took a sleeping pill about an hour ago, so I'm falling asleep
    at my keyboard now. So, I'm going to bed... :)
    --
    Martin Jay

    Martin Jay, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Alexander Nagelmann

    Jim Moe Guest

    Alexander Nagelmann wrote:

    > I'm redesigning a website for an organisation of our church.
    > I'm using CSS for positioning and layouting the page. But there's
    > one problem which makes trouble. On Firefox the website looks
    > good, but on IE one column with dates (Mein Alter etc.) overlaps
    > with the headline, so that it looks stupid. I've already tried to
    > solve this problem but no attempt helped. (it only got more worse)
    > Is there anybody outthere who might solve this problem?

    I do not see the problem you describe, e.g. there is no "Mein Alter" on
    that page, or dates.

    In other news:
    Do not use a Transitional DTD for new work. Use Strict.
    Correct the HTML validation error.
    View the page with different font sizes. It falls apart when the font
    size is increased.
    Use % or ems for font-size, not px. Font sizes in px are not resizeable
    in IE.
    Also consider ems for specifying widths and heights to allow the
    containers to adapt to font size changes.
    Avoid position:absolute wherever possible. Its use almost universally
    produces brittle layouts.
    The image in the header should be much more narrow, and applied as a
    background-image with a repeat-x; it repeats every three characters
    anyway. As it is, it just sticks way out the right side.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Apr 15, 2006